mp3tag's allmusic.com implementation

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

karan

Post by karan »

hey Steegy

I am having a problem with WST. when i click on 'save tags' button it just add only the ablum art to the songs and does not update any other tag ( even if they are checked and it found a match for the missing fields)... i dont knw why this is happening? do you have an answer to this.

thnx
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I'm quite sure that this problem has already been raised here and been solved. If not, I'm sorry but I don't have much time and have an important message to bring.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

About a week ago (I'm still on holiday) I got an important message from All Media Guide, the owner of AMG All Music Guide.

It's an infringement notice asking me and all users of Web Sources Tagger to cease and desist from all use of AMG data. That means that everyone is obliged to remove and delete the script for AMG, and any other scripts that access the AMG site without their permission.

As I currently don't have much time, I have taken all WST downloads offline, and have deleted my personal copies of the AllMusic scripts. Later I probably will make WST only available without any scripts, or only with those that certainly won't give problems.

Web Sources Tagger merely uses scripts that are made for Mp3Tag, and I haven't seen any notice/result on www.mp3tag.de yet, so I don't know if they are targetted too.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers
Steegy
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

This is highly f_cked up, but... what can you do. They're like THE place to get information like this, so it's not like they're really threatened by many competitors. (CDDB, FreeDB & MusicBrainz don't really hold a candle in quality) They have a product to sell, when these types of things are out there to freely 'steal' that information, it makes selling their product harder. For that, I can see their point, though still... if I go to their site and hand copy all the information I need at that moment, they wanna go after me for that? :)

Alwell... I guess this is one more reason I wish MediaMonkey could implement AMG, rightful, though doubtful to ever happen.
Peke

Post by Peke »

:( That is sad :( But ... I can't blame them. They will lose users, I hope that that they know what are they doing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kazadharri

Post by kazadharri »

I personnaly think the MM community ought to strat a letter (e-mail) campaign or boycott of thier service. Then they can can the errors of thier ways.

After all, I as a browser can still go to thier site at "see" all the same information we get with WST.

I just will no longer go their. MM proably has a very large base of users, that by not using thier site will impact thier business model..

The online community is a loving place, but if you don't provide the information the CONSUMER wishes in the way they wish, they will go else where...

/Jeff
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

This really seems silly. As others pointed out what exactly are we infringing on. If they don't want people using AMG data, then what is the allmusic web page doing there to begin with.

If they are missing out on potential clickers (i.e. ad banner use), perhaps something could be worked out where AMG serves up a banner the script. I know it isn't ideal, but that is the only difference I can see between serving up the data or going to the allmusic page directly.

As it is, I will use other routes, and when I need to manually retrieve information I'll use Wikipedia, Amazon, Lastfm, or the Artist's own website and avoid AMG myself.

Erik
k_r_eriksson

Post by k_r_eriksson »

Scripts like this use a lot of server capacity. That is one reason for not wanting you to use scripts. Another thing is that on Allmusic there is a lot of information that isn't free. This can be recommendations, biographies and so on. Allmusic wants to protect this kind of information and they can’t see what information you extract with the skin. Solution is to ban script.

I will not stop using Allmusic because it is the best resort out there.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

AllMusic.com is offered as a "Sample" of the overall AMG (AllMediaGuide) database. The same database you can license through their LASSO package. (I haven't read into it much though) That's why they have a problem with these forms of scripts.
wiredruid

sorry i'm new

Post by wiredruid »

Hi, I'm a bit confused, WST has been taken down because of AMG's infringement notice? Is this the only service available to tag things with Discogs? Thats my primary search. I wanted something like the "Auto-Tag with Amazon" function in MM and tried to see if there are any scripts here for that and I landed here. So WST is an external add-on? Does that mean its a seperate app/program? I'm not really concerned with AMG, I just want to use Discogs to tag files in my library in conjunction with MM, is this possible or do I have to wait till all this blows over and a new WST gets released?

Thanks for the help.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Steegy simply took it down based on the fact that the current installer contained the AMG script, he just hasn't gotten around to repackaging the installer without AMG. Atleast that's the way I've taken it.

---

Just to note, the AMG script at MP3Tag's forum has been taken down aswell.
Baculaat

Post by Baculaat »

thanks for the effort! too bad AMG are assholes
aidan_cage

moops!

Post by aidan_cage »

why not just pop the WebSearch Panels 1.3 script in and open AMG inside MediaMonkey
then you can just get the info there, and if you want to tag, you can copyandpaste

There are a couple of steps to get the right code into the XML file, but it is not hard once you have the info. I think it is on the thread...
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=60

PEACE

PS - too bad about the AutoTag!
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

Lately I've been having a weird problem where I'll open the Web Sources Tagger and search using various Discogs searches, but will get 0 results no matter what I search for. However, if I go to Discogs and find the Discogs ID of the release and use that search method, it works. Unless Discogs changed the layout of their pages or implemented some kind of search restriction, I don't know why the searches would suddenly stop working. Has anyone else been having this problem, and if so, have you found a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
leighduffy

Post by leighduffy »

@ aidan_cage

a little off topic i know, but after reading thru this forum i couldn't nelp but admire aidan_cage's MM display - I was just wondering what scripts/skins you've installed to achieve that layout as it looks like it would display all the info I could ever need whilst also looking pretty sexy with it!! :P

any details you can give would be great!

cheers

leigh