How do you capitalize your song titles?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Which option best represents what you prefer (for a song title)?

You may select 1 option

View results

DazB

Post by DazB »

Hi,

I use "It Goes On And On" as it is impossible to automagically format every title using mixed capitalisation.

Daz
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

DazB wrote:Hi,

I use "It Goes On And On" as it is impossible to automagically format every title using mixed capitalisation.

Daz
But it is possible manually, thats why I've manually gone through every song and have gone with It Goes On and On. It seems the most correct and once you get through your library, its easy to edit the titles of songs you add after that.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Al_G

Post by Al_G »

Steegy wrote:I prefer "It Goes On And On" because it's the simplest thing. You don't have to bother about first word of a sentence, or proper names and such. I also always found it difficult to decide which words should .not. start with a capital letter.
This is the exact reasoning I use, too. When playing tracks on my MP3 player, it used to bother me when I saw a title I missed or wasn't properly tagged using mixed case letters. Now that the first word on every track is uppercase, they all look "normal" to me.

EAC has a command that makes this change really easy when ripping CDs.
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

I follow the standard painstakingly defined on Musicbrainz, see here.

I have music in many different languages and capitalize the tags following that language's rule. I assign a language to each song in one of my custom fields - the language is always the language of the TITLE, even if the song itself is in a different language or a mix of languages.

The CaseChecker script works great for English, but most other languages require knowledge, patience and elbow grease... :-?
Maaspuck

It goes on and on

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi all,

i personally prefer the option 'It goes on and on'. I capitalize only the first letters and names, places and so on.

Usually i use the 'id3-tagit' software for this purpose. As it is quite uncomfortable to use several programs... is there a script to do this for me or do i have to write my own one or change the 'CaseChecker'.

Regards

Maaspuck
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

@Maaspuck: I've seen such a script flying around here already. It's also easy to make this yourself if you want.

Pseudocode:
- get selected songs
- loop through them all while
- making the title lowercase: lctit = LCase(Song.Title)
- make the first letter uppercase, the remaining letters stay: return = UCase(Left(lctit,1)) & Mid(lctit,2)
- get the next song in the list and do the same
- when the list is complete, update the library

It's probably even faster to just write the real code. Of course, this won't take into account special cases like US, McDoedy, 't Is perfect.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Maaspuck

easy coding

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi Steegy,

yes you're right, just lowercase the title and capitalize the first letter is easy to code. But Risser and Bex used pipe separated word lists. I like this idea and I have the idea to include a textfile based dictionary or something like that.

Therefore I started to learn from the original script but until now it is a bit complicated for me. I don't have any experiences with regular expressions and i try to understand how they parse the text in order to exchange the letters without parsing every single letter...

But anyway, thanks for your comment.

Regards

Maaspuck
mobfant

Post by mobfant »

Is there a way to use Casechecker (or something with the same capitalisation rules) to capitalise filenames, as opposed to ID3 tag information?
Bex

Post by Bex »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
mobfant

Post by mobfant »

Amazing, gracias

Post by Guest »

mobfant wrote:Is there a way to use Casechecker (or something with the same capitalisation rules) to capitalise filenames, as opposed to ID3 tag information?
This utility also is useful (, http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
flixie

Post by flixie »

I use sentence-style capitalization, which is an ISO standard (International Organization for Standardization) for titles.

Plus, sentence-style capitalization is what we use in Sweden, the land of ISO-devotees. So that's what I'm comfortable with, I mean.

It goes on and on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization
tbessie

Ideally, everything would match what's on the CD

Post by tbessie »

For CDs I've ripped, I usually try to make the titles, artists, etc. match *exactly* what's on the CD, even if it is inconsistent or wrong. Occasionally I'll correct a particularly bad spelling or capitalization mistake (not capitalizing a proper name, for example), but usually I like them to match exactly.

What's annoying is when what's on the back of the CD doesn't match what's on the CD itself, neither of which match what's in the insert or booklet for the CD! I wonder who writes the copy for the CDs such that these kinds of inconsistencies can happen.

When you get into classical music, too, there's lots of different languages involved, sometimes old and inconsistent spellings (there was no "standard" spelling back in, say, Renaissance England), lots of diacritic marks in languages I don't know, etc. so it can get complex. That's why I don't end up relying on scripts to do my capitalizations, unless it's on a well-known subset of tracks.

- Tim
Cyspoz

Post by Cyspoz »

I use a custom and manually capitalization at this moment. But are planning on writing a script for at least some quality checks.

For the Artist everything starts with an Uppercase. With some specialties: VS., Feat., DJ.
I threat the titles like they do in the Top 40 Hitdossier (dutch) as sentences. So a title would become: Walk this way. When the title contains something that you would normaly write uppercase I do that also: That's the way I like it or Walking in Memphis.
If there is something between () in front or after the title I thread it as a new sentences so starting with a Uppercase character.
However version details of a number are also between () and then all words are written uppercase if it is not a sentence. Like: (Disco Club Mix) or (Ben Liebrand Vocal Edit).

This are my main rules when it comes to capitalisation.
hatn

Re: How do you capitalize your song titles?

Post by hatn »

It Goes On And On

simple and i don't have to worry a lot about exceptions.