Alpha 4 freezing on 30% of my tracks...

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

statik

Alpha 4 freezing on 30% of my tracks...

Post by statik »

Anyone else get this. Generally it works just fine, but on certain tracks, MM just freezes for 5-6-7 seconds, and then skips to the next track, greying out the skipped track(s). It can be one, or a couple in a row, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.
and the tracks work, I've played them many times...

any ideas? is it me or MM?

Running on Vista x64 with bucketloads of CPU power and RAM available.
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

A guess, but the 'Vista X64' may be the issue here. Most of the newly reported MM oddities seem to be coming from Vista sufferers. When MM does the 'wait, then grey it out', it means that it couldn't get to the track .. but why it couldn't is not always apparent.

Have you got any virus scanning on this system (or anything similar) because that can hold things up a long time sometimes? Since there is not automatic retry for 'can't access' tracks, you have to go do the whole 'find moved tracks' thing I think, and that doesn't always work right.
statik

Post by statik »

Yeah I've got Kaspersky AV; but I didn't have this problem with MM2 (it crashed once in a while but nothing like this).
Odd thing is; if I close down MM and try the track again, I get the same thing with the exact same tracks. So it's like it doesn't accept certain tracks.

Also; when it greys out the tracks, they are "in use", so I can't move or delete them until I close down MM, even if I'm playing a completely different track.
HiveKiller

Post by HiveKiller »

I get this same problem but it only seems to be with one cd worth of songs. It does exactly the same thing with graying out the songs and not playing. It does it on both my Vista X32 and Win XP Pro SP2 machine. But only with MM3 (any alpha). With MM2 they play just fine. I have tried removing all the track tags, and album art, but still the same problem.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

see if you can get the mm 3 to post an error alert so you can get it sent in and they can find the error. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

What sort of media files are the problems with (mp3? wma? ogg? anything at all??). I've not managed to reproduce this in many hours of playing under WinXP SP2 - but mostly with .ogg files.
statik

Post by statik »

mp3s of various bitrates....
statik

Post by statik »

Still getting this on Alpha 5; only now it doesn't freeze, it just skips tracks and greys them out. Kind of an improvement I gues, but still bloody annoying ;)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

just an idea but one time i tried to edit a mp3 in an mp3 editor.

it would not work. it gave me an error report of

" This is not A real mp3 "

up on checking farther with different programs i found a program that showed me it was an wav file retyped to be a mp3 extension. so i had no choice but to delete the file and not get songs from that on line site anymore.
i know you think why not change the extension back to wav.
i did and it did not work they had done something else to it so
it needed deleted.

maybe that is what those mp3's are. wav's masquerading as mp3's

:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
statik

Post by statik »

Nope, defo not; I've played them tons of times before, so it's a MM problem ;)
jiri

Post by jiri »

If you can reproduce it with certain mp3s, please e-mail me a sample. Also, was it ok in MM2 because you used another mp3 input plug-in? Or did you use the standard configuration?

Jiri
statik

Post by statik »

e-mail sent!