Visualization Access Violation

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

dutch uncle

Visualization Access Violation

Post by dutch uncle »

Trying to use the visualisation always results in 'Access violation at address 006B8070 in module MediaMonkey.exe. Read of address 00000008'. The same happens when I try to start the visualisation from the options dialog. I have tried several other plug-ins but the message remains the same. Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of it? Many thanks for your help. :o
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

lack of ram.

lack of high mem reserved for dos.

lack of free page file / swap file space.

incompatible with another plugin?

bad download of av plugin.

those are my ideas. 8)
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

which visualization are you trying to run?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I have tried this on two different machines with different configurations, but the result is the same. How much RAM does it expect? I'm running XP with 512MB which seems enough for everything else.... It also behaves like this 'out of the box' with the normal plugins that come wth the download, and without anything else running. BTW, I did not understand the high mem stuff. I thought Windows is suposed to take care of that?
I've tried to use Geiss, Milkdrop 104b and Twisted Pixel v2.0, all with the same result.
It's probably some conflict on my machine, but I have no idea where to start looking. :-?
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

those were just some ideas of things that might effect it.
you did not say the system you had so i had to answer for
win98 which you can adjust that high mem on your self.

the ram might be the issue but i also have had trouble with milkdrop and geiss. although they seem to be fixed in mm 3 alpha 3.

windows xp requires 160 mb's of ram for its own use. so sub tract that from the amount of ram you have. and that is what all the other programs have to use.

512 - 160 = 352 mb's for use with every other program. incuding resouces for other windows software. so that little bit can get ate up fast. after i subtract that 160 from what i have. i end up with 608 mb's and that is barely enough for
what do on this and still not enough for editing photos wth some photo editing programs as my system will crash when doing too much to the photo.

aside from that you might want to get the tweaking program i mention here a lot. "Xteg" it has an option in it that will allow you to add more overflow stacks to use. that might help you too. along with the other thousands of tweaks you can do with it.

look for it at freeware sites if the url does not re direct you.

http://www.xteq.com

if you know how go set the page file to about 2000 mb's and also tell the computer to use the quantums for use with the programs not the system. if you don't know how get some one around you that you know can do it and you trust to have them do it.

8)
AlanRackham

Re: Visualization Access Violation

Post by AlanRackham »

I have the same problem and I am running a hp Elitebook 8740W Mobile Workstation with 8GB of memory. It doesn't mater what Visualization I use Geiss, MilkDrop. I think this is a bug!