Find more tracks of the same title as the selected

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Find more tracks of the same title as the selected

Post by chrisjj »

Please can we have Find More of Same > Title?

(Unless there's a way to get the same effect that I've missed...)

Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Thats what I'm missing for long time and I'm too lazy to make script for it.
Same Goes for Finds Same->Artist (Contains) and both should be easy to make with SQLQuery
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Thats what I'm missing for long time and I'm too lazy to make script for it.
Well, you're a dev... 8)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Peke

Post by Peke »

and fan like all of you as it said in my Signature.

Now Steegy you are teasing me, and I do not know SQL that good to make right Query :( Do not make me learn SQL for this althru I could learn it for me. ;) 8) :wink:
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Do not make me learn SQL for this

I'll gladly do the SQL.... if you can do the vbs! Or can anyone give us vbs for one on the existing Find More from Same commands?
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

OK I'll do VBS.
Expect It till end of weekend.

Find More are implemented in MM Core ther is no VBS for that.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Great! Thanks Peke.
Chris
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Well, you're a dev...
With this I meant: a MM Core dev...
To implement the "Find More from..." in vbs, you'll have to add a new tree node. There's no other way around this :cry: (we've asked in the past to be able to clear the complete tracks windows, but as of today, this is only possible if a new node is selected).
I started a simple "Find more of the same composer" script, but because of that inconsistency I could never finish it. (adding an extra node just for this would be too stupid in my eyes)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> To implement the "Find More from..." in vbs, you'll have to add a new
> tree node. ... I started a simple "Find more of the same composer"
> script, but because of that inconsistency I could never finish it.

The target of this proposed 'Find More from Same' command is a field - Title - for which (like the existing 'Find More for Same' fields) a Tree node already exists.

Does not that obviate the need to add a new node?
Chris
ariel

Re: Find more tracks of the same title as the selected

Post by ariel »

chrisjj wrote:Please can we have Find More of Same > Title?
PLEASE tell me it'll be in v3 (I didn't see it in the list).

It's THE thing that makes me waste the most time in MM. Latest example, I got a CD of Forcefield which is all covers of songs I already have. What I want to do is listen to the tracks and if I like one, compare it to the other versions I have in order to decide which version I'll keep on the HD. To do this with MM v2 is murder while with WMP it's SO simple (switch to title view).

I've mentioned this request a number of times and with alternate solutions. Since the posts with details are buried in long threads, I'm appending below two relevant quotes.

Please!

Ariel.

===
ariel wrote:
Steegy wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Adding title is a logical addition, but in my opinion of limited use.
In my opinion too. Unless you would use "find similar titles", but what would then be defined "similar"? Plus, this would demand a huge cpu performance to do this.
e.g. "The Moon" and "The Moon (Ferry Corsten Remix)" is not the same title.
e.g. "I feel thinder in my heart" and "I feel thunder in my heart" is not the same title. They also originate from the same song.

Searching manually (like you can do now) seems the best solution to me, as a human is mostly still smarter than the program when it comes to finding similar songs fast.
"Find identical" (not case sensitive) would already be a great help. This probably doesn't make sense to those who have mostly pop collections, but everyone who has also jazz, traditional, classical, etc, genres knows it's needed.

"Smarter" locates?

One option: compare until the first non-alphanumeric character in the title for which . I.e. find both "song" and "song (live)".

Another option: remove all non alpha-numeric characters from the titles and compare the just the alpha-numeric sequence. Much more computation intensive.

Neither is perfect, but any would be better than the current situation.

As for using "search" ...

In an MM "session" I typically do several things - listen and grade some track, convert others, burn to cd yet others, etc. I.e. I'm constantly moving from one track list to another.

The history of "search" is updated only at exit time (don't understand why) and you can't "back"/"forward" to specific searcches. Search is useless.
===
ariel wrote:I'd like context menu options to "search this, basic" and "search this, advanced". The option would take the value of the column of the selected track for which the context menu was called and autofill the corresponding basic field or advanced search filter (without activating the search). The option should leave the focus on the just autofilled field/filter for subsequent editing.

The autofilled value should be added to the current search criteria, not replace them (except for basic criteria fields where title would replace title etc).
[That would include the title column]

===
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Ariel, we feel the same. I have a large library with hundreds of repeated titles - the same title on different works, the same work by different artists, same artist in different performances, same performance in different recordings, and same recording in different releases. And though I find MM superior to WMP in most ways, for navigating between these titles it is far inferior.

Whilst I hope this can recified by scripting (the promise of MM scripting is a great plus point) I'm interested to know the reason, historical perhaps, for MM treating Title as second-class. 'Cos it is missing not just from 'Find More from Same' but also from the set of 'Go to * node' buttons on the Navigation toolbar.

In fact it seems nor is there any keyboard shortcut to go to Title node, even though there are for Artist, Album, Genre and even Year. Or is this just me failing to find it? ;)
Chris
ariel

Post by ariel »

chrisjj wrote:Ariel, we feel the same. I have a large library with hundreds of repeated titles - the same title on different works, the same work by different artists, same artist in different performances, same performance in different recordings, and same recording in different releases. And though I find MM superior to WMP in most ways, for navigating between these titles it is far inferior.
I just checked using a <title|min tracks:5> magic node - over 150 titles that have 5 versions or more (not including ones like "intro" or "track 1"). As for 4 versions of the same, simply too many to count. I think my record holder is "Hey Joe" - 45 versions (of which I keep 7 on my HD).

MM team - please!

Ariel.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote:OK I'll do VBS. Expect It till end of weekend.
Any progress? :)
Chris
Bex

Post by Bex »

This is already possible with my Advance duplicate find script (link in signature). With that you get a "Find More From Same- Custom Search".
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

I would really would like a datetime stamp when I added a tune to the library and have it displayable. Then you could sort it or make play lists using the date time stamp as a criteria. That would be awsome!