Let's collect all out Album Art for MM users....

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

Let's collect all out Album Art for MM users....

Post by Sebastian78 »

We can no longer use the "Apple" tool for fetching good album art from iTunes, but as the "Media Monkey Community" we must almost have album art of all cd's ever published. SO, this might not be "condoned" by the dev team, but we could take things into our own hands....

WHAT if, we start som kind of FTP site (OR other) for the album art we have on our system.

Artist - Album - Where You Got It.JPG

Ex.

Guns 'N Roses - Use your illusion I - Nett.JPG
Guns 'N Roses - Use your illusion I - Amazon.JPG
Guns 'N Roses - Use your illusion I - APPLE.JPG

This way we would "know" the quality of the files...no upscale from 200x200 or any other for that matter. Only downscale from larger then 500x500.

ALL FILES SHOULD BE EDITED IN Photoshop to remove white borders and should only be 500x500...

Like this :

NOT THIS :

OR THIS :

At least I have stared collecting the album covers in a specific folder.... let's swap people!!

(Legal notice: I'm not into scannning EVERY cd cover I have, so this is just a way to collect art from albums you already own....)

S
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I support your efforts to do this, but, I suspect the same copywrite issues that plague music also applies to album art.
Does anyone know the legalities of this?
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Probably illegal and too much work. If you really want, maybe you can do this on an external (non-MediaMonkey) forum or website. But I'd certainly not put anything here.
That does not mean that I don't support this.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

the cover art is copyrighted just like the songs.

but most overlook the posting of album art because it is kind of like free advertisments.

it is like anything else if you did not take the orgainal image then don't claim you did.

i got some on a site page but i don't claim them i just claim that fixed the bad images i found online else where.

i don't use the 500 x 500 size because when i made the noaa.png image for monkey i found they had it at 300 x 300 so i make all mine at that size with 150dpi

but as steegy said don't post anything there that might get the dev's in some legal bind.

make a page of your own and put a link here in the artwork forum telling us you have more album art for us if we need it.
i suggest you also tell us what the artist name is for your album or the album's and artist's names. kind of like i did in my message.

roving cowboy / keith hall.

8)
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

What about puttin up a page, just listing the album art you/we have, then mailing them to each other?

My thought was just to "help" fellow MM users with just THAT album cover they didn't have. Sort of a "Community" effort...not wanting to get ANYONE into trouble.

I also had 300x300 as standard, but changed to 500x500 for the better quality. I now have 70% og my 130GB collection re-tagged.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Sebastian, I'm sure everone understands your good intentions, don't worry.
First of all, I'd look on the internet to see if there aren't any similar "projects" starting up. Maybe google groups, on darknets ("waste" or other) or ftp servers.

Maybe someone with some practical input (http/ftp hosting) can help you all (you Album Art Freaks :wink:).

Maybe an online database which can be searched from a MediaMonkey script. Hmmm.......
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just post whatever you have in whatever form you have (could use WebMonkey) and make sure Google can see it correctly. Then the Google Art Tagger will pick it up.