How to handle multi disc albums?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

TheEmpathicEar

How to handle multi disc albums?

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

My example is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essen ... treet_Boys. The digital tracks I got were missing some ID tags. "Disc" was not filled in for either disc and each disc was in a separate folder, "CD1" and "CD2". In "CD1" I filled in "Disc" with 1 and "CD2" I filled in "Disc" with 2. MM5 handles this by displaying Disc 1 followed by Disc 2.
I was wondering if there is a way to handle this so that each Disc has it's own folder? When I did a sync from MMA, all the tracks from both discs are listed together in one folder. And, MMA displays Disc 1 followed by Disc 2 with no Disc IDs to seperate them.
Anyways, I am just throwing this out there. I want to see how other folks would a multi disc CD album.
Lowlander

Re: How to handle multi disc albums?

Post by Lowlander »

So the issue is with MMA? Are you asking about how multiple discs are displayed in MMA or actual file organization on the device?
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:38 pm So the issue is with MMA? Are you asking about how multiple discs are displayed in MMA or actual file organization on the device?
Well, if the configuration is done in the right way in MM5, a sync to MMA should result roughly the same? I could just copy the files and folders by hand to "My Music" where I store my music and MM5 looks. In this case, I went to the tree in MM5 and did 2 imports, one for Disc 1 and one for Disc 2.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

I want to see how other folks would a multi disc CD album.
Put the disc number into the Path on your MMA-Sync Profile, something like ...
  • Disc Nr in Track:
    \Music\$Left(<Album-Interpret>,30)\[$Left(<Datum>,4)] - <Album>\<Disc #> - <Track#:2> - $Left(<Titel>,50)
  • Disc Nr in Folder:
    \Music\$Left(<Album-Interpret>,30)\[$Left(<Datum>,4)] - <Album> - <Disc #>\ <Track#:2> - $Left(<Titel>,50)
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Consider the case of "Boxed" sets of CDs!

I handle this by using hierarchical playlists e.g. Album Artist / Non-Boxed Set Albums + Boxed Sets (then Boxed Set Albums at the 3rd level down). A few typical boxed sets

1). Creedence Clearwater Revival
--->Chronicle
--->CD Box Set
------->The Golliwogs
------->Mardi Gras

2). The Doors
--->Live in New York
--->Perception
------>LA Woman
------>Waiting for the Sun

3). The Police
--->Live!
--->Message in a Box
------>Every Breath you Take
------>Zenyatta Mondatta

In support of this, I use the "Grouping" field and typically put the boxed set name in the grouping field. A prefix can also be used to control the order e.g. Year or Box Set disc number. When creating album Playlists, I sort by Disc then Track.

I thus have a single copy of Zenyatta Mondatta (and the other box set albums) that show up as either boxed set or separate album (or both)
Ian Taylor
tmf

Post by tmf »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:00 am Consider the case of "Boxed" sets of CDs!

I handle this by using hierarchical playlists e.g. Album Artist / Non-Boxed Set Albums + Boxed Sets (then Boxed Set Albums at the 3rd level down). A few typical boxed sets

3). The Police
--->Live!
--->Message in a Box
------>Every Breath you Take
------>Zenyatta Mondatta

In support of this, I use the "Grouping" field and typically put the boxed set name in the grouping field. A prefix can also be used to control the order e.g. Year or Box Set disc number. When creating album Playlists, I sort by Disc then Track.

I thus have a single copy of Zenyatta Mondatta (and the other box set albums) that show up as either boxed set or separate album (or both)
Ian,
Could you post a couple examples of your Auto-Organize masks for naming files as shown here? I am doing something similar and it's nice to see how others have their Auto-Organize configured.
Thanks.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi,

My Media Monkey Windows auto-organise (Tools / Options / Library / Auto-Organise) is aimed at sending files to a single hard disk with folders for each <Type> and then organising first by Album Artist and then by Album. [I also keep a backup on another PC that runs MMW4 - this is done using Salty Brine's FolderMatch]

Specifically in my case the Directory is set to M:\ (this is my "media" storage hard disk)

The File Format is then set to <Type>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>

And so, specific examples are:
M:\Audiobooks\Arthur Conan Doyle\The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
M:\Classical Music\Hauser\The Player
M:\Music\Arthur Brown\Crazy World of Arthur Brown
M:\Podcasts\Dan Carlin\Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Hopefully, you can get an idea from these examples.

ALL tracks have a <Disc #> and <Track #> and "qualifiers" from the album name are moved to comments (e.g. Deluxe, Remastered, Japanese Edition etc.). Fields that have Multi-items are organised (within the field) alphabetically e.g. Genre / Artist e.g. Blues; Folk; Pop; Psychedelic; Rock [ this is more of a visual / comparison thing that helps me when viewing lists].

ALL tracks / albums have artwork (set to Cover[Front]) in both the Image tag AND file folder (folder.jpg). I try to get everything consistent before creating my Playlists that are used to sync my devices - this includes Lyrics, BPM, Tempo, Track Volume and Album Volume.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
tmf

Post by tmf »

Thanks Ian.

Yes, it was very helpful. Always like to see how others manage their collections, a lot can be learned this way. At least for me anyway.