MMW5 2024.0.0.3021 Refuses To Unlock Files

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

MMW5 2024.0.0.3021 Refuses To Unlock Files

Post by Dryst »

I have a file that I set to five star ratings. I completely disable MMW5's ability to write to tags. Therefore, after the the file completed playback and the next file started playing, I used my batch tag editor to set the file to five stars. For some reasons, MMW5 is keeping a lock on this file even after it completed playback. I am now three files after this file I need to edit, but MMW5 is still locking the file. I am forced now to stop all playback, close the app, edit the file, relaunch it, then resume playback.

Help please?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5ujsgumt ... 4gup0&dl=0

File number 3 above is what I wish to edit using an external application. File number 4 above is currently playing.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qkwmrh29 ... 0ho84&dl=0

MMW5 won't release the lock on the file. I am now up to file number 7 playing, and MMW5 is still locking this file.
Dryst

Re: MMW5 2024.0.0.3021 Refuses To Unlock Files

Post by Dryst »

My PowerShell script had its scheduled run, closed MMW5, and I was finally able to update the tag.

Ay Caramba
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So just curious here, I have never had any trouble editing a track's data even WHILE it was still playing, and I have mine set to update the embedded tags. Actually I wondered how they did that.

So now I wondered if something had changed, so I tried it again just now on build 3020, and it seems to be working still.

Now you indicate you are not even updatiung the tags, so there should be no reason for this not to work.
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Shortly after posting this, the issue went away back to my expectation. I cannot update files as they are being played, but right after playback completes I am able to update files as expected.

Apparently, I am reporting a lot of very difficult to fix bugs...so I am thew perfect test subject to make sure things work properly :lol:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a lock on the file for applications outside of MediaMonkey. I see this regularly on Windows 10 (not with MediaMonkey involved though), sometimes it's really hard to get the file unlocked.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

What I just wrote and shared was as soon as MMW5 was force closed via end process, the lock went away.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is easier way. I personally use https://lockhunter.com/ where I can right click on File/Folder to check if it is locked and what app locks it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

I have lockhunter installed. I use it to identify processes locking files and to end processes, but I never unlock files using this tool. I wouldn't either if I was you.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Dryst wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:25 am but I never unlock files using this tool. I wouldn't either if I was you.
I checked what it do and it uses Windows native commands to unlock file eg. release file lock to locked app. Most of apps support it and you do not need to end processes.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

MMW5 unfortunately locks lots of things including my CDROM drive. The only way to fix this is to kill the process, and I have tried absolutely everything.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

You don't want to use MM to make these rating updates? IE. instead of using an external application.
Presumably MM owns the lock, and therefore will be able to make the update.

The advantage of using MM5 for the update is that both the track tag, and the MM database will be updated, and remain in sync.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Thanks for posting, but I posted many complaint about poor TAG updates with zero responses from anyone....ever. This tells me that you all love this behavior and I am the only one who thinks it is wacky, insane, and off the wall.

Take a look at this post that was 100% ignored:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... PM#p516163
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Dryst wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:34 am Thanks for posting, but I posted many complaint about poor TAG updates with zero responses from anyone....ever. This tells me that you all love this behavior and I am the only one who thinks it is wacky, insane, and off the wall.

Take a look at this post that was 100% ignored:
I don't know why they ignored your post. That is a failure.
It is the 1st time that I have read that post. I don't read all posts.

I can verify what you report about the BPM tag.
The tag is stored in the MM5 database as an integer as expected.
But it is stored into the track as an REAL number, ie. not an integer. ... NB. I only tested with a flac file.
Maybe this BPM tag bug has slipped through because not too many people use the BPM tag, or even know what it is for.

That would be a MM bug if the standard definition for the BPM tag is that the value should be an integer.

Tagging is a core capability of MM.
I assume that the overwhelming majority of MM users use this facility and trust its reliability.

From my POV it would be horrible tagging with an external tool, as the MM db and the track tags would get out of sync.
You should press them to fix the bug, or at least explain why it is not a bug.
That way you can get full use out of MM5.
I have also posted a response to your thread to reactivate it.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.