Application error during device sync - translation and consequences

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Tough_Choices

Application error during device sync - translation and consequences

Post by Tough_Choices »

Good morning.

Yesterday I tried to sync an iPhone 13 with iTunes for windows, but the 'sync' part wouldn't happen for some reason. It had before, but that was with an older set of PC components. This was the first time I had tried with the upgraded system, but no joy.
As an aside, I use this iPhone 13 purely as a portable media player - solely MP3-320 - as it has a larger storage capacity (512GB) for my ever-expanding number of music files (now 34k+).
But, like I said, it wasn't for syncing.
Now, I'm going on holiday in one month, and the idea of doing so without my music is almost unbearable, so this needs sorted.
My iOS software is up-to-date, and the iTunes for Windows software was updated before a second unsuccessful sync attempt. In an act of desperation, I reset the phone to new and tried again. Still no joy.
iTunes just seems 'easier', to my experience. Not fault-free by any means, but just easier to 'see'.

Now, being aware that I can sync devices to MM (2024), I went about trying this option instead. I somehow managed to initiate a syncing process, but soon realised that, with so many music files to transfer, this was going to take circa 20 hours to complete. So, when I went to bed last night it was a third of the way through and I thought we'd be close to completion now.
However, I woke to a paused process, about two-thirds of the way through, and the following Application Error message:
(apologies for it being a copy and paste of the text - I can't seem to post a screen grab image of the window)

Application Error

X

X

Application throw an exception "FVisibleDescendantCount <
O !!! , node.persistentID: devicesList, stack: Callstack: Script:
file:///viewHandlers ; Func _collapseNode ; Row: 2831 ; Col: 18
Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func processNode ; Row: 2848;
Col: 23
Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func collapseNode; Row: 2850;
Col: 9
Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func undefined ; Row: 2858; Col:
Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func collapseNodeList ; Row:
2854; Col: 14
Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func undefined ; Row: 2517 ; Col:
Script: file:///promise.js ; Func: invokeCallback ; Row: 399; Col:
Script: file:///promise.js; Func publish; Row: 457 ; Col: 9
Script: file:///promise.js ; Func publishFulfillment ; Row: 633;
Col: 7
Script: file:///promise.js ; Func flush; Row: 193; Col: 9

(N:\Delphi\MediaMonkeyBuildTrunk\HTML5Monkey\SharedTre
e.pas, line 1244)"

Error: FVisibleDescendantCount < 0 !!! , node.persistentID:
devicesList, stack: Callstack: Script: file:///viewHandlers ; Func
_colla

Would you like to restart MediaMonkey in Safe mode?

Restart

Restart in Safe mode

Continue

Now, what do I do here? I cancelled the paused sync and unplugged the device. My PC is telling me that I need to restart it to install updates, but what is the MM issue, and what are the consequences of each option given?
I don't have the IT/programming skills that seem to be evident amongst the MM 'heads' (no disrespect). It's a media management software that I found, liked and stuck with for years now. I just want something that copes with the simple things I want it to do, when I want it to do them.
I need to do this procedure with an iPad too, by the way, and I think I'm gonna remove iTunes from the PC if it's not gonna do what I downloaded it to do.

Anyway, I'm stuck in a kind of 'PC constantly on' limbo here until I get some good advice.

Many thanks for any attention and patience so far, and any advice forthcoming.

All best.

Mike
relevant kit:
ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2
AMD Ryzen 5 7500
Soundblaster AE-7
Optiarc AD-5290S 24X SATA DVD/RW Dual Layer Burner Drive
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Lowlander

Re: Application error during device sync - translation and consequences

Post by Lowlander »

iTunes is needed for iOS Sync.

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 2024 did this happen with?

Can you use any of the media files on your iPhone that Synced up to this error? You should be able to start a re-sync and it should (not a 100% certainty due to crash) continue where it crashed. If you do choose to try this, please capture a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket if you experience another crash: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
Tough_Choices

Post by Tough_Choices »

Hi Lowlander, and thanks for responding.

The MM build is 2024.0.0.3005. However, the offered advice is redundant as I got a bit impatient and restarted MM anyway, as well as restarting the PC...which is what the PC was telling me needed done.
I also reset the iPhone back to 'new' again, and didn't think to check if the synced files played before doing so, so I'll never know if they could have or not.

However, I got a case number registered with Apple Support and it got escalated - twice! They're calling me back after further consultation. The feeling is that the iTunes issue is due to a slow phase-out and an introduction of four different Apps in its stead, and the overlap is maybe not as smooth/integrated as hoped...yet.

I realise this doesn't answer the MMW application error question. Apologies for that. But, with an iTunes phase out happening, how will that affect iOS Sync for MMW going forward?
relevant kit:
ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2
AMD Ryzen 5 7500
Soundblaster AE-7
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

3005 is an old beta release, you should update to the latest.

There is no answer yet to what happens post-iTunes. We'll have to see first what Apple does and what road blocks they put up for third parties this time.
Tough_Choices

Post by Tough_Choices »

Thanks, Lowlander.
relevant kit:
ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2
AMD Ryzen 5 7500
Soundblaster AE-7
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Tough_Choices

Post by Tough_Choices »

I didn't realise there were further updates to MMW2024 already, so thank you for the pointer.
relevant kit:
ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2
AMD Ryzen 5 7500
Soundblaster AE-7
Windows 11 Pro 64bit