Tag Update Failed: [filename}.flac is inaccessible

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tommyfs

Re: Tag Update Failed: [filename}.flac is inaccessible

Post by tommyfs »

I'm tempted to take the easy way out (no migration) and do all the MM5 work on the Laptop. But first I have a question on the other option: both devices using the same paths. My Laptop stores all music files on C:\User\tsoca\Music and its subfolders. If I move the music files on my Desktop from its current path (C:\User\Tom\Music) to the exact Laptop path above, I can skip the "re-assign drive" step. Correct? If not, which device would need drive re-assigning -- Desktop or Laptop? Please help me understand the process. Thanks for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Moving between devices will always require re-assigning drive as the driveID has changed (unless you change the driveIDs to be the same).

But, if both devices use C:\User\tsoca\Music as Path, you only need to re-assign Path, which is better than Locate Moved/Missing Files as that needs to match each file, whereas re-assign just fixes the driveID, and all files work.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

After making sure both paths are identical,
1. is "reassigning Path" the same as "re-assigning Drive"?
2. And on which device: Desktop or Laptop?

Thanks.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Thanks to all for the suggestions, but I still have the subject problem. The new MMW5 Beta Version didn't help. Having 9 gigs this month, I had no choice but to give up on using the Desktop version to do the heavy work - but - that's where all 1800+ files are located, all with read-only property (can't get unchecking this to stick), so when I transfer a file from Desktop to Laptop, that property stays with the file, perhaps contributing to my inability to "Edit Tags". I still feel it's a permissions issue, but am clueless on how to proceed after all the things I've tried. Doesn't anybody else have this problem?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're correct that MediaMonkey can't tag read-only files. If File Explorer shows read-only for your files, you'll need to fix this in File Explorer. You may want to do an online search to troubleshoot this.
tommyfs

Post by tommyfs »

Aha!! Thought so. So my game plan is to (1) eliminate the read only check marks to the MMW5 folders then (2) back in MMW5, Edit Tags/Update tags. Let me know IF I'm on the wrong track.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Update tags will save database values to the files, so yes, it's the appropriate fix.