MediaMonkey Library could not start: port 61198 is already in use

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

zerodiversion

MediaMonkey Library could not start: port 61198 is already in use

Post by zerodiversion »

So starting MM today, I've got this warning dialog as it loads.

Media server 'MediaMonkey Library' could not start: port 61198 is already in use.
Check whether another instance of MediaMonkey is already running or change the port# in Options > Media Sharing.

So I have obviously checked there is not more than one instance running in Task Manager.
I have also tried existing the program, making sure no MM instances/services remained in Task Manager, there wasn't, started again, same problem.

I tried changing the media server port number as suggested in the dialog, that hasn't worked either. Tried several new port numbers. All the same error. The port number in the message just changes to the newly configured port number.

Also each time I've checked the ports that are actually bound to a service or in use on the computer, with

Code: Select all

netstat -an
and neither time can I see that the configured MM media server port # is being used already.

I've read the suggestions already about phantom MM instances left running after quitting, other versions of MM running also etc. and nothing there is helpful as I've already confirmed this.

Anyone else with this problem recently?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey Library could not start: port 61198 is already in use

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you checked in MM options if there is only one MM server using that port.

If Port is locked you can check for information what app is using that port.

How to Check Which App is using a Specific Port

1. Run the following cmd in an elevated Command Prompt while replacing [PortNumber] with the port number that you already know is listening.

netstat -aon | findstr [PortNumber]

Locate PID of process locking the port

2a. Now, use the following cmd while replacing [PID] with the PID noted in the step above.

tasklist | findstr [PID]

That will give you app name using that PID

2b. Now, use Task manager -> Details TAB -> Sort by PID where you can kill the Process Tree.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using, did you install the MediaMonkey Service and do you still see this after a PC restart?
zerodiversion

Post by zerodiversion »

Thanks Peke for the reply.

Still MM reports the configured port cannot be used because it is in use already when MM starts, but when I check the port isn't being used by MM or anything else.

Please see the steps below.

I start MM, making sure there is no MM instances running already. Checking Task Manager also.

MM reports the port can't be used dialog

I check for the app/service/process using the port MM is configured to use, but no results.

Also confirming screen shot of the MM Library config, only one server listed.

I don't why MM is reporting the port is in use, while Windows is showing the port is not in use.

Thanks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

zerodiversion wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:39 am I start MM, making sure there is no MM instances running already. Checking Task Manager also.
When checking in Task manager, are you checking Background Processes as well as Apps.
I see this port lock often after MM has ended abnormally.
It is always one of the Background processes that is holding the lock.
Sort the list by Name. The background processes are named MediaMonkey.

I have never experienced a port lock than cannot be fixed by terminating the remnant MM background processes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
zerodiversion

Post by zerodiversion »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, definitely was checking the background processes.

Very frustrating, and as shown previously, Windows didn't even think the port that MM was complaining about was in use.

Today the problem isn't happening, so whatever was the cause has resolved itself.

Like you said, most probably an orphaned MM process, but it certainly wasn't listed or marked in Windows as the port in use.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If it happens again please open support ticket so that we can get into more details in order to se ewhat is going on with your setup.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
zerodiversion

Post by zerodiversion »

Thanks Peke