5 Minute FLAC File Plays Endlessly [#20693]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

5 Minute FLAC File Plays Endlessly [#20693]

Post by Dryst »

Ticket #6896: "Tracks Plays Endlessly And Never Proceeds" has been successfully submitted

I installed the debug version along with log capturing to report all these crashes, whitescreens, broken waveforms, etc, etc, etc

While logging I have an issue I have faced several times where the currently playing Auto DJ track reached the end but continues playing silence indefinitely. It never proceeds to the next track.
Dryst

Re: 5 Minute FLAC File Plays Endlessly

Post by Dryst »

This issue happened again right now with a 3 minute FLAC file reached the end of music playing complete silence forever:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bcfoa0ei ... t6xre&dl=0

It has been playing over twenty four minutes of complete silence never to play anything else. This was acknowledged as a known issue that rarely happens, but it happens for me quite a bit due to daily usage.

Debug logs have already been submitted for this issue.
Ludek

Re: 5 Minute FLAC File Plays Endlessly

Post by Ludek »

Seeing that Michal is analyzing it via the ticket #6896 and the issue is being tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20693
Dryst

Re: 5 Minute FLAC File Plays Endlessly [#20693]

Post by Dryst »

This issue happened again for me today:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/x24cfy6j ... jrl27&dl=0

It has also happened at least three additional times that I did not post about. The screen shot is from the latest 2024.0.0.3020.

MMW5 is currently playing a 5:44 FLAC file for over 44 minutes. Can't code be added like this?:

IF current_play_time > current_file_time THEN skip_to_next_track
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Such code is there, problem is elsewhere, processing is blocked somewhere, but hard to find where and why.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

This just happened again right now:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g6w00f8u ... hr2s2&dl=0

It is playing a 3:17 FLAC file for over 16 minutes.

Is there a version that contains extra logging I can install that will help identify why this happens so much? It appears to be happening more often for me now.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

When I clicked the next track button, it played no music and skipped to the end of the track with silence playing. Clicking the next button a second time resulted in a complete freeze. I had to terminate the app then relaunch it. The app crashed that appears to be the cause of this issue. It seems a background process died.
rusty

Post by rusty »

This issue should have been fixed in build 3021. Is it resolved for you?

-Rusty
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

The issue continues to happen.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, we still haven't been able to replicate the problem. Considering that it occurs inconsistently and with various types of flac files (i.e. it won't occur consistently with a single flac file) and with various audio output plugins, we're thinking that it's related to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20939 .

Do you think that could be the case? Or does it occur for you even with local files?

-Rusty

p.s. we just posted build 3027--I doubt it fixes this, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Thank you for follow-up.

It very well could be related to this, and I did suggest to the developer assigned to my ticket to consider increased file caching, add more CPU to cache population, and play from memory. He doesn't want to do this.

I have zero files locally and zero space for files, so I am not able to test this for you. Also, a shutdown and restart fixes all of these issues, so this does not seem very likely. It was just looping this morning, and a shutdown followed by restart fixed it. Reading through the bug notes posted, I do not have an understanding of the challenges faced here. According to the bug notes, the issue is that the in-memory buffer is not being reloaded with fresh content and playing the same buffer content on repeat. Why not zero the buffer after playback then ? I have a workhorse powerful CPU that supports many threads. Please use it.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Dryst wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:59 am I have zero files locally and zero space for files, so I am not able to test this for you. Also, a shutdown and restart fixes all of these issues, so this does not seem very likely.
Perhaps a memory leak then? I'll try endless playback of flac files.

Thanks!

-Rusty