Bug: Sync ignoring my filters and settings [#20732]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

Bug: Sync ignoring my filters and settings [#20732]

Post by feline1 »

Hello, I'm using MMW 5.1.0.2832 on Windows 11 64bit,
and syncing to a Sony NW-ZX700 Walkman running Mediamonkey Pro for Android 2.0.0023 / Mediamonkey for Android 2.0.0.1160.

I'm sure if the issue I'm experiencing due to Mediamonkey on my PC or the Android app...

Since literally about 2015, I have always used these sync settings on my library, as per this screenshot
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tPYSWQ ... sp=sharing
(i.e. basically using the Genre tag to determine which files to sync... any track that has a blank Genre tag isn't supposed to get synced, and I have Delete other files - All other media files selected, so the Sync is supposed to tracks that don't match my current library folder structure from my Walkman, right?

For several months now, I have found these settings are just getting ignored -
Sync works, it just copies my ENTIRE library to my Walkman, regardless of Genre tag,
and if I change my library folder structure, it doesn't wipe the old files and folder structure from my Walkman, it just adds new ones.

As I say, I've been using the same settings for the best part of a decade now, so I'm assuming this is a recent bug?
(I've only owned that Sony Walkman and run MMA on it for about a year, but the Sync worked as expected on it to begin with...)
feline1

Re: Bug: Sync ignoring my filters and settings

Post by feline1 »

Oh wait - it looks like I already complained about this last year https://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=104224 :lol:
And it was raised as a bug https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19986 but it's not dealt with yet :-?

EDIT - that bug is just about the 'Delete other files and playlists' option not working -
my new hell is that now the my tag filtering is getting ignored too.
Last edited by feline1 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Presumably as Genre is selected it Syncs all files in the Library. If you deselect a Genre (or create a new genre in a file and have it deselected) the Sync works as expected, only Syncing selected Genres?

The workaround would be to create an AutoPlaylist with the Criteria Genre is known and Sync that AutoPlaylist.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:28 pm Presumably as Genre is selected it Syncs all files in the Library. If you deselect a Genre (or create a new genre in a file and have it deselected) the Sync works as expected, only Syncing selected Genres?
Well, if I select all the 6 genres that exist in my library, the top level 'Genre' checkbox also selects itself in the GUI.
And Sync is currently syncing ALL my library files (including those with no Genre tag value).

This is not the way MMW has behaved since I started using it in 2015, until a month or two ago...

And I don't see why "Presumably as Genre is selected it Syncs all files in the Library" should be the case? If I wanted it to do that, I would just leave the filter selection as 'All Music'.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for reporting,
to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20732
feline1

Re: Bug: Sync ignoring my filters and settings [#20732]

Post by feline1 »

thanks, Ludek
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I tried to make a workaround for this bug,
by simply taking a few of my tracks that had no Genre tag value,
and giving them the Genre 'test' -
so then I could explicitly not select the 'test' Genre in the filter, so it wouldn't think that 'selecting all listed genres = All music' - but it made no difference! it still didn't delete the tracks with no genre when I synced. :/
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

feline1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 pm I tried to make a workaround for this bug,
by simply taking a few of my tracks that had no Genre tag value,
and giving them the Genre 'test' -
so then I could explicitly not select the 'test' Genre in the filter, so it wouldn't think that 'selecting all listed genres = All music' - but it made no difference! it still didn't delete the tracks with no genre when I synced. :/
This should definetely work, couldn't this be a test error? Maybe you forgot to click [Apply] before [Sync now] ?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I don't think so!
I am syncing in this configuration now over WiFI using MMA and it's putting all 3700 genre-less files back on, even though I have my 'test' genre deselected :/
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 pm This should definetely work, couldn't this be a test error? Maybe you forgot to click [Apply] before [Sync now] ?
Ah - so, it did not work when I had my Walkman's microSD card plugged in directly to my PC with a USB stick card reader.

However it *does* appear to have worked with the microSD card back inside the Walkman, over WiFi, with MMA. (It's currently deleting 989 genre-less tracks as I type!)