When performing a full scan, it always shows that all files are updated

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

KthugS

When performing a full scan, it always shows that all files are updated

Post by KthugS »

From 2024.0.0.3003, 2024.0.0.3005
I rescanned the library with the options below.

Even if the file has not changed, it will always appear as shown below.

Therefore, when synchronizing with a device, all track counts are displayed during the 'Analyzing sync list' step and a significant delay occurs.
And after synchronization is complete, MMA outputs a message that 35902 files have been updated.
However, the file stamps on the files on the device remain the same and nothing has changed.
And when I scan again, the above problem occurs again.

Additionally, when I check the 'Only for files with changed timestamp or size' option and perform a scan, MMW shows that there are no updated files.
The 'Analyzing sync list' step in MMA does not take long and soon the message 'Everything is on Sync' is displayed and synchronization ends.

However, if I uncheck 'Only for files with changed timestamp or size' and scan, the first problem occurs again.

----This was the initial purpose of reporting the bug.--

I decided to choose one file at random from my PC and device and compare them directly.
And I discovered a shocking result.

The image below shows the properties of the PC file.

he image below shows the properties after copying the device files to the PC.

Although I went through several synchronizations in MMW 5 and MMW 2024, I found that there were quite a few files whose tags on PC files were not synced to the device.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=105871
As mentioned in the link above, when I realized that the tags were not synchronized, I had my own solution.
But now that I know there are a lot of files whose tags aren't synced, I don't know what to do.
Lowlander

Re: When performing a full scan, it always shows that all files are updated

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like scanning is working as expected. When the option for Only for files with changed timestamp or size is disabled all files will be re-read (and thus count as updated), if it is enabled all files will be skipped (unless you update them outside of MediaMonkey).

Do you have many files showing in DB / Tag Mismatches, if so, you'd want to Update tags on the files listed there.
KthugS

Post by KthugS »

Tools - Edit tags - Update tags...
I used the above function for all files
It took quite some time, but the timestamps of all files were changed.
And this gave me hope that it would give me the results I wanted.

However, even after synchronization with the device was completed, the tags of the device's files did not change.
I checked the 'Only for files with changed timestamp or size' option, scanned and synced the library, and the result was the same.
I unchecked the 'Only for files with changed timestamp or size' option, scanned and synced the library, and the result was the same.

Then, I discovered something.

Although the tag fields shown in MMA are limited, commonly used tag fields such as 'Genre' appear to be properly synchronized.
To check the remaining tag fields, I copied the device file to the PC and opened its properties.

It does not match the PC library file.
Timestamp shows September of last year
Since then, there have been several tag modifications on PC.
Because I used the suggested 'Tools - Edit tags - Update tags...' function yesterday, the timestamp of the PC library file is yesterday.

In MMA, tag fields such as 'Genre' appear to be synced as expected, but the files on the device have not changed.
In other words, does that mean that even if I edit and synchronize tags on my PC, MMA does not directly modify the file after the initial download?
When I checked with another Android media player, it displayed the tags recorded in the file, not the content displayed in MMA.

Assuming that the files on my PC have been deleted and I want to restore them using the files on the device, if I copy the files myself, what happens to all the tags that have been modified or added?

Since the modified tags are recorded in the MMA database, does it need to be restored by synchronizing MMA and MMW for full recovery?

Does it mean that if the MMA database is lost, or the SD card is directly connected to another device or PC, all the tags that have been modified or added will be lost?

I'm so confused right now
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ah, yes, MediaMonkey will update the MMA database by default, not the files.

You need MediaMonkey 5.1+ and on the Sync Profile > Tagging section you need to enable Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed. This will make Sync a lot slower if a lot of changes have been made, but the changes will also be reflected in the Synced files on the device.
KthugS

Post by KthugS »

"Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed"
I never noticed that this feature was added in MMW 5.1 BETA. thank you
I'm really embarrassed that I just found out now.

Update tags, Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed
I used both options and it started downloading quite a few files back to my device.

However, some of the files were copied as is from the source file, but some were not changed.
I tried again, but nothing changed, so I deleted all the files again, reset MMA, and synced everything from the beginning.

Then I modified the tags in the source file and tested synchronization.
A few things I found out
When synchronizing, when the modified tags of the source file are reflected as files on the device, is it correct to display “downloaded” instead of “updated” in MMA?
Only when it showed that it had been downloaded did I see that the timestamps and tags of the files on the device had changed.

So the problem for me is when a tag has been modified but MMA shows "updated".
I found that this phenomenon occurs when only the lyrics tag field is modified.
Change some lyrics and sync -> MMA shows the modified lyrics, but does not reflect them in the file on your device. (File timestamp also does not change)
Additionally, delete lyrics and sync -> MMA will still display the lyrics before deletion.

Are there any other tag fields that might be missing, like the lyrics tag field?
Taking the "ENSEMBLE" field as an example, MMW does not show this field. Will this affect synchronization?

I just wrote "1" in the tag field title and synced it, but MMA shows "Updated".
Files on your device remain unchanged, but MMA shows the title you changed
I changed the source file name and synchronized it, but MMA shows "Updated."
However, the files on the device did not change.

"Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed" is clearly checked and "Update tags" has also been performed several times.

The tags of the original file have been modified and the timestamp of the file has also changed.
What more do I need to do to pull the trigger harder?
I confirmed that this option works when re-encoding FLAC files.
However, re-encoding every time a tag is modified is very inefficient.
KthugS

Post by KthugS »

I discovered something interesting today.

I found the moment the "Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed" option worked, which had not worked despite multiple synchronization attempts.

I really didn't like it when Android first forced me to use 'MTP', and I still hate it.
I know that MediaMonkey also does not recommend file synchronization using MTP.
That's why I only used wifi synchronization using MMA.

Today, while charging my phone, I unintentionally turned on the MTP function.
Coincidentally, MMW was running on my PC, and I soon saw a notification that it was connected to the device.

The device list in MMW was identical to the list created and configured for WI-FI synchronization
Since I turned on MTP and was connected via USB, only the device icon was displayed differently.
The synchronization profile set for WI-FI synchronization remained the same.

I didn't run MMA and started a USB sync on MMW.

After accepting the confirmation message to delete some files, full-scale synchronization began.
Not all files were subject to synchronization, but many files were subject to synchronization and the expected time was very long.
I noticed that the file name currently being copied was displayed at the bottom of MMW and decided to copy the completed file directly to the PC to check.

oh my god
The "Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed" option worked!!!

What happened?
Did MMA have a bug where it ignored the "Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed" option?

Once the USB sync is complete, I'll try modifying the tags and sync again to see if the options still work.
KthugS

Post by KthugS »

1. WIFI SYNC using MMA

"Force files to resync whenever the source files have changed"
"Enforce use of the sync mask for files already on device"
Some options like this don't apply

Several flac files were damaged while performing UPDATE TAGS (Ctrl+S) in MMW.
So, I copied the files from the device to my PC, but the tags that had been added were missing, so I had to edit the tags again.

2. When performing USB SYNC from MMW to an Android device

Sync profile settings, including the "Force files to resync whenever the source files has changed" option, work as is.

But MTP is really terrible
And these changed tags are not displayed in MMA.
Even if you rescan “Check for new/changed media” multiple times in MMA, the changed tags of the file are not displayed.
In this case, when you do wifi sync, MMA displays the message “Everything is Sync” and does not update or download anything.
The file's tags have changed, but MMA won't display them forever.

"Force files to resync whenever the source files have changed"
"Enforce use of the sync mask for files already on device"
It would be great if only these two options were applied during WIFi sync.