Playing list/now playing bugs

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Playing list/now playing bugs

Post by Rob_S »

In the attempt to provide a playing list which plays shuffled in display order, and thus enabling the next and previous functions, while still at the same time attempting to satisfy those who wish to see the now playing list in some order other that what it is playing, several bugs have been introduced, and I fear neither side is going to be happy when 5.1 is actually completed and released. This appears much like trying to drive south in the northbound lanes....

In my mind the simplest solution would be to have two separate different modes for the playing list, one being the old way, and the other being play in display order as described here.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 22#p517222

If that is not in the cards, then at least some of the significant bugs currently present should be addressed.

1) We really need a full explanation of how it is supposed to work, and what is meant by "original order", and "save new order" and why..

2) The apparent malfunctions which occur when sorting the playing list in the right side pane by column header, after which it no longer focusses the current playing track, drag and drop no longer works, and there is no "save order" button in this pane.

3) The above "save order" button only appears if the column sort is performed in the "playing" node in the main window, in which case it also sometimes shows up in the "playing list" context menu.

4) If a new order is in fact saved in the "playing" node, this order is not reflected in the "playing list" in the right side pane.

5) The above often results in error messages when the shuffle button is turned off, and the attempt to revert to original order fails.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
MattTown

Re: Playing list/now playing bugs

Post by MattTown »

Hi Rob

For what it's worth, I only use the Now Playing list in the "Play in Displayed Order" style that you described in your linked post.

I haven't been concerned about shuffle simply taking me to another place in an otherwised unchanged Now Playing list, but I'd be happy to have shuffle resequence the files in Now Playing so that the strict play next/play previous controls worked how you suggest.

I do all of my sorting and sequencing in the main list and in Playlists, and just use the Playlist as an indicator of what's happening for playing. I used to worry about the player stepping in sequence through files so that I didn't miss any, but that's not an issue any more.

Cheers

Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My main beef is the current inconsistent behavior between whether or not I happen to have sorted the list in some way, where it does NOT play in displayed order.

My request is that the Playing list behavior should be always consistent as displayed, regardless of how it is sorted or re-ordered.

Exception granted if there is a way to specifically choose the old mode where it could play randomly, without regard for the order of the list.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Rob_S

Playing list not tracking currently playing song

Post by Rob_S »

As previously found, see the following thread:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=105813

MM 2024 still does not track and focus the currently playing track in the "Playing List" when in "List" view, and after sort by title column or any sort.

It does track in the "Playing" node view, because this view rightfully does not respond to the sort that was done.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

This functionality was not fully finished yet, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20582
But note, that temporary changing displayed order without affecting playing order was requested, it is not bug. Only it should be done with ability to easily save new order/reset display order to playing order.

By "does not track and focus the currently playing track" you mean what? Currently playing track is highlighted in list as it should already, even after resort, this works as it should I think.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

No, that exactly as you describe "Currently playing track is highlighted in list " does not occur after column sort in "Playing List" window. You need a long list for this to (not) work, so the next track is actually outside the window.

Still puzzled what possible purpose could be served by a now playing list that ever does not display songs in the order they are expected to play.

Is that not what the playing node in the main window is for??
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Rob_S wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:07 am No, that exactly as you describe "Currently playing track is highlighted in list " does not occur after column sort in "Playing List" window. You need a long list for this to (not) work, so the next track is actually outside the window.
For me it works (playing track has different color), only automatic scrolling to the playing track is disabled during the time when sorting is changed, because user changed sorting for some reason and scrolling could be undesirable. The time, when sorting is changed, is special temporary state.

The change with sorting was done in this issue: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16622
I had similar arguments like you (I am not fan of this too), but I was in the minority and changes were made. Only not all needed changes are finished yet.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks, keep pluggin' away... :D