Track# not displaying correctly in My Computer node

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

roylayer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:44 am

Track# not displaying correctly in My Computer node

Post by roylayer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:48 pm

Situation:

1) I have a song that has already been added to the library which has no track#. There is no track number in the database (SongOrder = -1), and there is no track number in the ID3 tags (verified by another app).

2) On the My Computer node, I locate the song and type a 1 directly into the field (without using the properties dialogue). I leave its folder. At this point the trk# is in the ID3 tag but not in the database.

3) I return to that folder. The track number is still displayed.

4) When I highlight the track, the trk# disappears! It also doesn't appear in the property dialogue.

Alternate 2) If for step 2, I change the trk# via the Properties dialogue (shift-enter) instead of typing a value directly into the track# (F2), everything works perfectly in steps 3 and 4.

My hypothesis:

- In step 2, MM updates the tag but not the libary. That's what I would expect from the My Computer node.

- In step 3, MM reads the ID3 tag to display the proper trk#. Again, this is what I would expect.

- In step 4, when setting the focus on the track's row, I believe that MM is looking in the library to get the trk#. Since it is 0 there (really a -1 in the database), it displays nothing for the track. I would not expect this in the My Computer node.

- In alternate step 2, MM updates the tag AND the library. I would not expect this in the My Computer node. However, since it does do it, step 4 is able to display the correct trk#.

I don't understand why MM is doing anything with the Library in the My Computer node. I would think that it would just look at the file and mp3 properties. Can anyone explain to me the logic that the My Computer node uses to display and update information in the tags and in the library? Thanks!
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp

roylayer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:44 am

Post by roylayer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:18 pm

As a follow-up, I tried the exact same thing with a track that had not been added to the library first. Everything worked correctly in that case.

So, I conclude that the My Computer node uses some information from the library for tracks that have already been added to the library. That would be OK (I guess) if I understood what logic it was using. (And the behaviour described in my initial note still isn't what most people would expect.)
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp

rusty
Posts: 7282
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:39 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Problem in My Computer Node

Post by rusty » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:29 pm

The intended behaviour of the My Computer node is that:
-It displays what's actually contained within track tags (regardless of what's in the library)
-If the user updates properties of a track in this node, the tag is updated
-If the track happens to be in the library, any changes are also reflected in the library. e.g. property changes / deletion

Obviously, as you described, MM isn't currently following this intended behaviour. Looking into this....

-Rusty

roylayer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:44 am

Post by roylayer » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:15 pm

Thanks for explaining the intended operation, Rusty. Makes sense to me!

Now that I know about the small peculiarity that I found, I simply don't do the thing that causes it! Not a big deal, but I thought you guys would want to know.
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp

Post Reply