Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bdshasta

Application Error

Post by bdshasta »

MediaMonkey 5.0.4.2693 (Portable mode)

Error message:
Application Error
"Application throw (sic) an exception Access violation at address xxxxxxxxx in module 'MediaMonkeyEngine.exe'. Read of address yyyyyyyyyy
Would you like to restart MediaMoneky in Safe mode?"

Details:
The above error pops up 2-3 times each day and MediaMonkey crashes. There are buttons to RESTART, RESTART IN SAFE MODE, or CONTINUE. None of the buttons do anything useful and it is necessary to end all MediaMonkey processes entirely before restarting the application. Then it will work for about 5-12 hours and crash again. Each error will of course reference a different memory address.
I've been running this version of MediaMonkey for some time. I did in-place upgrade Windows Server 2012r2 to 2019 while MediaMonkey was installed, but that was many months ago and this issue only began in the last month.

Things I've tried:
- Starting MediaMonkey in safe mode has no effect.
- Reinstalling MediaMonkey Portable to a new directory and then moving over the db and preferences has no effect.
- Reinstalling MediaMonkey Portable over the existing location blows it up entirely and it will refuse to start at all.
- Installing the latest beta on top of the existing MediaMonkey location blows it up entirely and will refuse to start.
- Optimizing the db and rebuilding the db have no effect.
Lowlander

Re: Application Error

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you seeing this with?
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

MediaMonkey 5.0.4.2693 (Portable mode)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please try with the latest MediaMonkey 5.1 beta to see if this resolved already for you?
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

I already did and installing over the top trashes the entire installation. It no longer is able to start at all when I tried that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the inability to start in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

Does installing it as a separate Portable Install allow 5.1 to run without problems?
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

Attempting to install version 5.1.0.2832 either as an upgrade or to its own, new portable location results in the same error. The installation finishes, but MediaMonkey crashes at the splash screen on start with the error:

"MediaMonkeyEngine.exe - System Error
The code execution cannot proceed because wlanapi.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

There is an OK button on the error window to click but clicking it does nothing and the error just pops up again immediately, you can click the OK button perpetually.
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

I've got in-place upgrade to version 5.1.0.2832 working now. That wlanapi.dll error was just a feature missing within Windows Server that apparently the previous MM5 version did not need whereas the latest does.

I'll run 5.1.0.2832 now and see if the crash issue persists. If it does, I should know within the day.
bastianegeter

Post by bastianegeter »

Getting similar error. Just started using MMW yesterday. Exception thrown multiple times.

(for this post tried to insert a screenshot link from imgbb and to edit the url as a new user but couldnt get through the check)

MediaMonkey 5.0.4.2693
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You are new user and you can't yet post links. You need at least 3-5 confirmed posts in order to be able to post links.

Always use latest Beta https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d to try to replicate crashes
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

Following up, I may have tentatively discovered the issue here. While the crash did continue after the beta install, I noticed that the crashes seemed to be occurring around a specific album (I have auto-dj running). It was saying it couldn't locate the files. I played each file directly once and it found all the files and the crash hasn't occurred since. It's only been 24 hours though so we'll see. Still, this is the longest it has went without crashing since the issue first started.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If it starts again, please create full compressed debug log and attach to support ticket.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bdshasta

Post by bdshasta »

Just to close this out, I believe I do have a definitive answer as to what was occurring here.

There was a single album added recently that for some reason the MM5 database had the wrong filename/path listed. Although it also add the correct filename's for the entire album as well, there were 3 tracks that also existed in the db with the wrong filename. I don't know how that would've happened, or why those tracks would've come up almost daily in a random selection from 300k tracks (maybe the act of crashing and restarting was keeping the randomizer logic to arrive at the same conclusion?). I also don't know why a missing file would crash MM5, although the crash only occurred sometimes, other times it just moved on to the next file.

If this somehow does persist I will indeed collect the bug log. Is there any easier way to collect debug logs short of having to install the separate debug version? Or is there any problem with just always running the debug version? It seems strange that a separate binary is required to get debug logs.