struggling with moving MMW5 to a new PC

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

freewheelin' frankie

struggling with moving MMW5 to a new PC

Post by freewheelin' frankie »

I'm in the process of moving MMW5 Gold from an old PC with Windows 10 to a new one with Windows 11. I've successfully downloaded and installed MMW5 to the new PC and activated the license for Gold, and switched off drive scanning for media. But I can't make head or tail of the instructions for moving the database file etc.

The MP3s were in the inboard hard drive in the old PC (D:\My Music\...), they are now on an external one which coincidentally has the same drive letter D as where they were before. Flacs, meanwhile, were already in the same external drive (as F:\flacs\...) where the MP3s have now joined them. This means that the flacs are in the same drive as previously but its drive letter has changed and the MP3s are in a different drive but with their old drive letter.

I managed to locate the .ini, .db and .JSON files in the old PC (not where I expected to find them) and have backed them up to an external drive. But I find the instructions for the default locations they should go to in the new PC incomprehensible, I suspect because there is wide latitude for where %APPDATA% might be, or what the % signs mean; I can't find an appdata folder anywhere. MediaMonkey is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Monkey 5.

Likewise I don't really understand whether, and how, I ought to edit the .ini file - or any other files, especially given the media used to be in two different drives.
Lowlander

Re: struggling with moving MMW5 to a new PC

Post by Lowlander »

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer

You can copy those Paths into File Explorer and it will take you to the correct location. No need to know the actual Path.

You also need to re-assign drive ID after copying the old database (and before any scanning).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Is this our favorite subject or what???

Lowlander, I fear you did not fully recognize the complexity here.

Two different file types, one has changed path, and one has not.

For freewheelin, if you need your playlists and statistics back, this might be a bit difficult to achieve. You may only be able to get one type or the other.

If you only want the info that is in the tags, which usually includes ratings and artwork, you can simply install MM, scan your new folders, and see what you get.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
freewheeling frankie

Post by freewheeling frankie »

Rob_S - Thank you, the good news is that I'm not really concerned about the flacs - they don't have ratings and aren't in playlists, or at least only a very few that don't matter, so ultimately if I just have to scan for them all again and potentially delete the duplicates, so be it - there's nothing much to lose. I'll also happily live without statistics if I can a) save the playlists and b) perhaps even more important, save the ratings for the MP3s. I'm hoping that the latter are saved in the tags anyway. The split into a different drive was due to a space issue a year or two back. The two between them are now too big (961GB) for me to return the flacs to their original home on the old PC (a 1TB drive) and start again.

Lowlands - Thank you, I put %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5 into the C drive and it took me to C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5. So I've overwritten the three relevant files with my backed up ones.

But now I need to know how to edit the .ini file given the dual drive issue as described by Rob_S.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd not copy the mediamonkey.ini and persistent.json files in the first place and instead set things up fresh.

However drive issues are to be resolved in the database, with the aforementioned re-assign drive. I do recommend using the latest MediaMonkey 5.1 beta in this scenario.
freewheeling frankie

Post by freewheeling frankie »

Lowlander, Could I manually re-assign the drives separately at the MP3s and flacs subnodes?

Meanwhile as I said earlier, I have copied the .ini and .json files and don't know how to undo that.

What advantages does the beta version bring? Debug or Non-debug version?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to do it on each drive. The beta has a fix related to the same drive ending up twice in the database.