Why won't MM on my new PC play my playlists that I've exported from my old PC?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

hypercube42

Why won't MM on my new PC play my playlists that I've exported from my old PC?

Post by hypercube42 »

I understand MM uses Drive ID instead of drive letters, but the drive and directories are exactly the same. For example, the m3u playlist shows the drive as "10TBdrive" and in the new installation of media monkey, the drive shows up as "10TBdrive". The error it gives when trying to open the m3u is "Playback failed: (track.mp3) is inaccessible". This happens when I right-click and open the m3u in MM. If I try to scan the folder the m3u is in, it gets added to MM but no tracks are visible in the playlist within the program. I really don't want to have to manually edit 40 playlists in a text editor.
Lowlander

Re: Why won't MM on my new PC play my playlists that I've exported from my old PC?

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Paths on the Playlist file (using any text editor like Notepad) and confirm that the Paths are actually pointing to the media files on your PC. Generally when this happens this wouldn't be the case. For exported Playlists the driveID is not a factor, but the drive letter may, depending on how you exported them.
hypercube42

Re: Why won't MM on my new PC play my playlists that I've exported from my old PC?

Post by hypercube42 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:36 am Check the Paths on the Playlist file (using any text editor like Notepad) and confirm that the Paths are actually pointing to the media files on your PC. Generally when this happens this wouldn't be the case. For exported Playlists the driveID is not a factor, but the drive letter may, depending on how you exported them.
I figured out a solution to my issue. When I was originally exporting the playlists from my old pc, I didn't have my external drive plugged in. I didn't think this would be an issue, because the playlists exported OK, and they contained the drive ID, not the drive letter, which is what I was expecting based on some stuff that I had read. But I eventually realized that if I had the external drive plugged in to my old PC, then the "export playlist" function would create playlists using the drive letter, not the drive ID. Which is fine for my situation, and all the m3u files opened just fine on my new PC after that.