Recover add on files from fried computer

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Fender-Bender2

Recover add on files from fried computer

Post by Fender-Bender2 »

We have been chugging along since 2013 using MMW3 for a jukebox quite happily. Then the computer motherboard failed. We have since got another used/hand-down computer to use. We have a separate D: drive with our 70K+ music files. NOW, to replace functionality.

The old installation had,
1. Play lists we enjoyed having,
2. Album cover art we downloaded years ago,
3. Personal 1 to 5 star ratings,
4. downloaded info from internet to rank songs one each album,
5. and probably some stuff I just have not thought of just now.

Which of these items can be recovered? Seems like you could move the pointers in the DB file to find the music, and there was an INI file with settings also? Are these files still part of the current version?

I have the old drive around, so potentially I might have these files, or album art or other stuff.
having the playlists would be cool.

Currently running MMW5 free version
Lowlander

Re: Recover add on files from fried computer

Post by Lowlander »

The database file will contain Playlists and Ratings/Tags (latter 2 should also be in the media files if you can recover them).

Album covers would either be stored in the media files or with the media files in most cases.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My question for support would be if the original db is in MM3 format, if it were found and copied over, will it be converted by MM5?

Would the user need to install MM4 as an intermediary to convert this db?

Also, question for OP, how many tracks have been added or deleted or moved around (relative location) since the original installation was lost?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:55 am My question for support would be if the original db is in MM3 format, if it were found and copied over, will it be converted by MM5?
We tested direct MM3->MM5 upgrade during Alpha stages of MM5, but upgrade to MM4 is recommended due the fact that MM3 DB did not had that good optimization/management so some bugs can go thru even DB works in MM3 normally. MM4 can be installed as Portable so there is much need to worry about, you would only need to copy MM3 MM.DB -> start MM4 -> Do the full optimize -> -> Check if everything is in place -> Upgrade to MM5 and import MM4 library.

Lastly depending on number of files, there will be need for lots of manual work, but if user library stats (my goes 20 years in past) are soooooooo important (for me my is everything to me) then all is worth.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thanks, Peke, that should be useful info...
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks