Very Slow iPhone Sync

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jtech452

Very Slow iPhone Sync

Post by jtech452 »

Syncing my iPhone is very very slow. Way under the USB2.0 speeds. multiple minutes per song sometimes. But at the beginning of the sync, songs seemed to transfer quite quickly. Now it's slowed down around 2600 songs in (out of 3800).

I have an iPhone 11 with iOS 17.2.1 and MediaMonkey 5.0.4.2693.

It's been slow in the past with other versions of iOS and Media Monkey. I'm not sure what the deal is.
I have not deactivated the conversion feature, but none of my music is in a format that's not already compatible with the iPhone. It's all 320kbps or lower mp3 files.

The files are in Dropbox, but I have that folder set to "Available Offline," so that shouldn't be the issue.
The laptop has an SSD. That's certainly not the bottleneck with the iPhone 11 using USB 2.

If anyone has any idea how to solve this or what the deal could be, let me know.
jtech452

Re: Very Slow iPhone Sync

Post by jtech452 »

I stopped the super slow sync by yanking the cable. seems like there's not a button for that, so I just did that. I turned off all the "convert format" settings, and synced again. It picked up the remaining 1000 or so files pretty quick. not done yet, but currently between 2-10 seconds/song. However, it did get stuck for more than a minute on another file, and that one was a strange one to get stuck on: 898KB MP3 320kbps. Not an unsupported format, not being converted, not even that big of a file (most of mine are 4-8MB) and it still got stuck for a while.

If it was turning off the conversion settings that did it, here's my question: why did MediaMonkey think it needed to convert a bunch of 320kbps MP3's to a new format for my iphone when 320kbps MP3'S are explicitly listed as supported by default?

I can submit logs or even some mp3s themselves if that's helpful. For my own reference, the song it got stuck on most recently was "Invocation" by sonic flood.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Latest MM 5.1 beta builds have better support for latest iOS versions.

you can download it from viewtopic.php?t=86639&sd=d
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
djasonpenney

Post by djasonpenney »

This beta does seem to be better, but it feels slower than before the iOS update. Is there more to be done in this area?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It really depends on what Apple changed in Recent updates and how much more hashes MM needs to calculate before syncing files. Would be great if you can compare speeds so taht we can try to tweak/optimize it further?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts