For MP4 video title, does MM5 use audio track title instead?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

niggle

For MP4 video title, does MM5 use audio track title instead?

Post by niggle »

Hi,

I've been using MM5 to edit the metadata of MP4 files, and it seems to me that when the video doesn't include a title in its metadata, MM5 uses the title of its audio track instead. Names like 'Stereo' are quite common.

I can clear the video title in MM5, and can see that the MP4 file has been updated. But if I then delete the MM5 database entry for that file and then re-scan, the entry is then re-created with the original non-blank title, 'Stereo' or whatever audio track name is available.

Anyone else seen this? It's the only thing I can think of to explain observed behaviour.

Thanks a lot.
Lowlander

Re: For MP4 video title, does MM5 use audio track title instead?

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey and what source are the MP4 files from?

What MediaMonkey uses for tags is described here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... erties/5.0
niggle

Post by niggle »

Apologies, I wasn't notified of your reply. I'm using MM 5.0.4.2693 and the MP4 files are mostly from Handbrake.

I can see from the chart that for the MP4 title, it states "Yes (©nam, [titl])".

So the Yes means that the title is stored in the media file tag, but also that [titl] is not written? I'm not sure how to interpret that.

My suspicion is that if the MP4 file is missing a Video title, then it uses the title of an Audio track instead. Can you confirm?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Hello, you understand it correctly. In case file does not have any other title tag, but contains "titl" tag (it was used by some older apps for title too), that titl tag is used for initial value for track title. It is read only tag, MM saves title to ©nam tag (not titl).