unwanted second instance opening to play file from file explorer

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

NevetőPáfrány

unwanted second instance opening to play file from file explorer

Post by NevetőPáfrány »

Hi,

When I double-click on a file in file explorer instead of starting to play it in the already open instance of MM it opens a second MM instance so I have two instances playing different songs at the same time. It used to start playing in the place of the previous one in the same instance. And I have "Allow just one instance of MM" ticked. Tried to untick exit, reopen then tick back, exit reopen but it doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure if it started after a version upgrade, I just noticed it and this is highly counterproductive for me.
Could someone please advise if this is a bug that could be fixed somehow or what other setting I should check upon?

I have version 5.0.4.2693

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: unwanted second instance opening to play file from file explorer

Post by Lowlander »

Please try with the latest MediaMonkey 5.1 beta to see if this resolves the issue for you.
NevetőPáfrány

Post by NevetőPáfrány »

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any experience with Beta builds, and I don't have everything backed up so if there's a fair chance it might modify/damage files I better wait for the release I'm afraid. Or is it at a point when that's not a risk?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately there is never no risk. However very little has been done with file handling itself. It's also nearing the end of the testing cycle, getting close to a final release.

Backup of database is always recommended.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

FYI, I have used every recent beta version they have posted, and none of them have damaged my database or track files in any way.

However, there are many things that can damage your collection and/or your entire computer, so I highly recommend having a full backup or two of your entire music folder, your database, and all your other files too of course, preferably located outside of your residence or in a fireproof vault, or something. (I don't like cloud backups, who knows where those might be when I need them)

Portable USB hardrives are cheap insurance, have one at home for your current backup, and one offsite with the last most recent one.

Then you can experiment to your hearts content at very low risk.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks