When I scan for new files it creates a new location that is a duplicate, with same drive letter and serial number

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

markproxy

When I scan for new files it creates a new location that is a duplicate, with same drive letter and serial number

Post by markproxy »

I recently migrated my collection to a new computer. I thought everything had worked correctly, but now when I run a scan for new files, it creates a duplicate location with the same drive letter and serial number as an existing location.

When I moved to the new computer, I did the following:
- Saved all tags to music files on original computer
- Migrated all music files to the new computer
- Made sure MediaMonkey was not set to auto-scan on the new computer
- Backed up MM5 database on the original computer
- Migrated MM5 database to the new computer
- Opened MediaMonkey on the new computer
- Used Music -> Location -> M: [Data] -> "Media Properties" to point my music location to the M: drive on my new computer
- Used Music -> All Tracks -> <Select All> -> "Locate moved/missing files..." to make sure all file links in the database were correctly pointing at my new drive

After that, I added some newly purchased music files, and I wanted to run a scan to incorporate them all into my MM5 database. I used "Add/Rescan files to the library...", selected the M:\ location, and clicked the Scan Now button. I expected this scan to add about a few files in various directories. Instead, I saw that it was adding thousands of files... every file in my M: drive. I exited MediaMonkey to abort the process, started it up again, and saw that I now had two different locations under Music -> Location, both called "M: [Data]". I deleted the new one. So far, it looks like there was no negative impact to my existing playlists.

How can I fix this? Ultimately, I want to make it so my M: drive is automatically scanned for new files on startup, and I don't want this to create duplicate files. All my playlists refer to songs in the original "M: [Data]" location, and I REALLY don't want to lose my playlists and my Added data which indicates when music was added to my collection. I have hundreds of playlists and over 35k tracks in my database, and knowing when a track was added to the database is an essential part of how I keep track of my collection.

There a possible clue as to what is happening. When I right-click my original "M: [Data]" location and view Media Properties, the location comes up as "D:\". My M: drive is a mapped drive, which points to a folder on my D: drive. I've used this approach for well over a decade, to make it easy to port playlists from computer to computer — no matter what "real" drives I have set up, I always know that my M: drive is where all my music lives. If I use the Media Properties dialog to change the location to M:, it doesn't stick; the next time I view Media Properties on the location, it always reverts to "D:\".

When I run "net use" in the cmd window, I get this:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\mark>net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK           M:        \\PIXIE\Music\Public Music
                                                Microsoft Windows Network
I've used this approach on MediaMonkey for many years, without problems. Maybe a new bug has crept in that makes it so mapped drives don't work as expected?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
Lowlander

Re: When I scan for new files it creates a new location that is a duplicate, with same drive letter and serial number

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please offer your database to Support with both drive entires present in the Library?
markproxy

Re: When I scan for new files it creates a new location that is a duplicate, with same drive letter and serial number

Post by markproxy »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:12 pm Can you please offer your database to Support with both drive entires present in the Library?
Will do!
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

No idea if my problem is related, but there's a definite overlap of what we each just did.

See: viewtopic.php?t=105555

FYI.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Like for Mark can you share you MM library in support ticket?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts