Odd autoplaylist behaviour

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

KenDavies

Odd autoplaylist behaviour

Post by KenDavies »

I'm trying to set up an autoplaylist of least played favourite tracks, limited to 100 tracks. The problem I'm having is that the 100 tracks are always the first 100 alphabetically by artist, not randomly selected from the library.

In case I've not put that very well, say you have 1000 favourite tracks, each of which has been played 5 times (I know that's not likely). What I'd like is to select 100 of those tracks by random rather than the first 100 tracks alphabetically.

Is there a solution?

TIA
Lowlander

Re: Odd autoplaylist behaviour

Post by Lowlander »

What are you sorting on? Also which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
KenDavies

Post by KenDavies »

Version is 5.0.4.2693 portable install

Sort order doesn't seem to effect this as selecting Random only sorts the tracks that are already in the list.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sorry, re-reading, that's not possible. You can't take a random subset from an unknown value (Played#).
KenDavies

Post by KenDavies »

Thanks for the quick response but could explain what you mean by unknown value? Isn't the play count part of the each tracks record in the same way as artist and title?

TIA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't know the Played# for the least played files. It could be 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Thus you can't take a random subset of all files with that Played# value that is the least played.

FYI, Played# is saved in the database only.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Would not the following work for you:

Match all:

Plyed # <= (say) 3
Limit to 100 files selected by random track (autorefresh)

In theory, by doing this, when the played # passes 3 (or whatever you set) that track will no longer be selected, so eventually, you should hear everything you have.

If that does not work, could you create one auto playlist containing all the songs played less than set number of times

then a second auto-playlist

Playlist is (above named playlist)
Limit to 100 files selected by random track (autorefresh)

Least played may not work, but you should be able to determine a number of plays less than which would qualify.

ps Thought I posted this earlier but seems it went astray...
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
KenDavies

Post by KenDavies »

Fair enough and thanks for the trouble.

And thanks Rob for the suggestion. This is probably the way I'll try to replicate the effect.