One common database for two separate MMW5 installations?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Ticktack

One common database for two separate MMW5 installations?

Post by Ticktack »

Hello!

I have MediaMonkey 5 installed on two Windows computers (in non-portable mode): my laptop and my desktop PC. I have a NAS, which I can access from both of these computers when I am at home.

Would it be possible to use one common database for both MMW5 installations (by modifying the MediaMonkey INI file appropriately) and put this onto the NAS? Of course, I would make sure that only one computer accesses and writes to the database at a time by not using both MMW5 installations at the same time.

Would this approach cause any problems and most likely lead to a corrupt database or would it work fine?
Lowlander

Re: One common database for two separate MMW5 installations?

Post by Lowlander »

Start here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... vironment/

I wouldn't recommend it though. NAS access is slower than local drive access so MediaMonkey can slow then (especially with large libraries), and the database isn't really designed for multiple simultaneous access (it should generally work though).

If you do choose this, you should set MediaMonkey to backup the database regularly.
Ticktack

Post by Ticktack »

Thank you for the advice. I think I will use a different method then and just backup and transfer the database from one computer to the other.
piphomer

Post by piphomer »

I've thought about doing something similar using OneDrive.... I presume the same comments broadly apply?