How to manually randomize auto playlist?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bobatkins

How to manually randomize auto playlist?

Post by bobatkins »

I use auto playlists extensively to synchronize with my devices since I have to limit the number of tracks.

Problem is that when I set the Limit, Selected by to 'Random Track (auto refresh)' this causes the playlist to randomize each and every time that it is accessed when a device tries to synchronize. For a list with 5000+ tracks this can result in upwards of 2500 tracks being removed and thus having to be deleted on the device and then another 2500 tracks have to be downloaded to the device which can take hours.

I prefer to manually randomize the playlists so I can control when a major update of tracks to the device occurs. This allows me to (using other playlists) to make smaller changes to a device when I just want to update and add a few new tracks to it.

The other auto playlist Limit, Selected by option is 'Random Track' which then causes the tracks to randomize at the time it is selected however, I can find no 'Randomize' or 'Refresh' option for an auto playlist to manually cause the tracks to be randomized as was the case with MM4. As I recall there was a 'Randomize' option in an auto playlist's context menu. I can find no such option in MM5.

It would be intuitive if there was a 'Randomize' or 'Refresh' option in the auto playlist context menu or a 'Refresh' button at the top of the auto playlist center window display or in the 3 dot menu that would cause the playlist to be refreshed and if the Limit, Selected by is 'Random Track' or 'Random Album' it would also randomize.

So far the only way I have found to manually re-randomize a playlist is that I need to edit it, change the 'Limit, Selected by' option to something other than Random track and then change it back to Random Track.

Would be nice if this was easier to do as I recall it being in MM4.

Thanks,
Bob
Lowlander

Re: How to manually randomize auto playlist?

Post by Lowlander »

There is no method for this at the moment: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18496

You could set it to Random track (auto-refresh) and then back to just Random track to get a refreshed list, until some better solution is implemented.
bobatkins

Post by bobatkins »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:10 pm There is no method for this at the moment: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18496

You could set it to Random track (auto-refresh) and then back to just Random track to get a refreshed list, until some better solution is implemented.
I am already doing exactly what you suggest but it is awkward at best.

As I cannot comment on the ticket (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18496) that was created regarding this. I would suggest using the functional term 'Randomzie' just below the 'Edit' option in the list context menu (only when the list has a manual Random... Selected By) since it would explicitly describe the desired action and would avoid any doubt as to whether the playlist is updated automatically for any other reason.

The same 'Randomize' operation could also appear at the top of the playlist title, in the 3 dot menu to the right of the shuffle icon (when applicable based on the Selected by option).

As I recall in MM4 there was a 'Randomize' function in the auto playlist context menu.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
bobatkins wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:00 pm As I recall in MM4 there was a 'Randomize' function in the auto playlist context menu.
Auto Playlists are as they say Automatic/Dynamically created playlists and you can't manually randomize content.

If I am wrong please supply screenshot of full MM window, so that I see what exact context menu you refer.
bobatkins wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:00 pm As I cannot comment on the ticket (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18496) that was created regarding this.
Users can't reply to To-Do bug list only team members and some rare contributors can. For that is used Forum Topic eg. like this one for your issue/question.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, MM4 did not have a randomize option for AutoPlaylists.
bobatkins

Post by bobatkins »

Peke wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:59 pm Hi,
bobatkins wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:00 pm As I recall in MM4 there was a 'Randomize' function in the auto playlist context menu.
Auto Playlists are as they say Automatic/Dynamically created playlists and you can't manually randomize content.
You are correct about MM4 - for all I know it was a feature in MM3 or it was revised out during MM4 but I certainly remember it well and missed it when it was taken away.
Peke wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:59 pm If I am wrong please supply screenshot of full MM window, so that I see what exact context menu you refer.
There are 2 options for each Random Track and Random Album - either manual or Auto-Refresh.

Here is the screenshot:

When the Random without the (auto-refresh) option is selected - the tracks randomize once and stay in the same order until the option is toggled to something else and then toggled back.

Ideally it would be great to have a 'Randomize' option appear just below the 'Edit' option in the auto-playlist context menu:

Or at the top or inside the 3 dot menu at the top of the playlist:

The Randomize option should only appear in the context menu or at the top of the playlist is the Selected by option is a random/non-auto-refresh option.

---
Bob
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Auto refresh option is how MM4 behaves. Non Auto refresh option is added to MM5 due the user demand so that User can manually refresh randomized selection.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bobatkins

Post by bobatkins »

Peke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 pm Hi,
Auto refresh option is how MM4 behaves. Non Auto refresh option is added to MM5 due the user demand so that User can manually refresh randomized selection.
Peke,

I appreciate the Non Auto refresh option in MM5.

The point of my post is that in MM5 there is no straightforward way to manually refresh/re-randomize a manually randomized playlist. It would sure be nice to have an intuitive option to re-randomize a playlist manually.

---
Bob