Excessive BPM Tagging [#20949]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

Excessive BPM Tagging [#20949]

Post by Dryst »

I performed a reinstall of the latest released (non-BETA) version of MMW5. The latest beta has more crash issues, so I reverted to the released version for now. I forgot to change my setting after install to stop writing tags to my media files. My files are all stored on pCloud and played directly from pCloud drive. I am noticing that MMW5 writes BPM as follows:

Is there an option to not include so many decimal places? The above is an integer, so I would prefer no decimals at all for integers. I would allow a single decimal if and only if there is a non zero value. For example, 120.5. The BPM before MMW5 touched my tag was 130. It did this to all BPM tags that I now have to clean up.

Incidentally, this was a new install on a new Windows 11 computer. I restored my music library from cloud back up. It would have been nice if my settings were also saved to avoid issues such as this when installing to a new computer.
Peke

Re: Excessive BPM Tagging

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please supply same file where one is untouched by MM and One written by MM along screenshots of both file properties?

EDIT NOTE: MM is not capable to calculate BPM and relies on external apps for calculation. You can edit and save BPM tag only manually.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Your code is doing this. This is exactly why I disable tags. I never got an answer to my original post on why all my files are being modified; therefore, I disabled tag writing. I just reproduced this issue that you can see for yourself.

This is a public domain FLAC I just downloaded from here:

https://archive.org/details/MusopenCollectionAsFlac

I used BPM tapper to set the BPM to "90" in the FLAC tag:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/msafx5ch ... 0uzpv&dl=0

See BPM 90?

Now I will enable tag writing temporarily in MMW5 (every single version I have ever used does this; I still do not know why). I modified the comment in properties then clicked OK. MMW5 modified this file's tags:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bhqxsnwd ... jsh70&dl=0

This update makes no sense to me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Barry4679

Re: Excessive BPM Tagging [#20949]

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi LowLander, your Mantis report doesn't seem to cover the whole of this issue.

MM5 manual adjustments to BPM store the assigned value to the music track with mandatory decimal places.
The BPM tag in the MM5 database is an integer value, ie. decimal places impossible.
The track that Dryst uploaded shows a BPM value with no decimal places.
Dryst wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:30 amI would prefer no decimals at all for integers. I would allow a single decimal if and only if there is a non zero value. For example, 120.5.
This is accepted as an issue?
If so can it be added to your Mantis Incident report?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.