Portable Install not playing Video Audio Correctly [#20539]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Roxie2401

Portable Install not playing Video Audio Correctly [#20539]

Post by Roxie2401 »

It appears that the Portable version only will play video audio from "speakers" even though the Audio Output Plugin is set to Primary or Default device and not to Speakers in the configuration settings.

Music Albums all play to the correct device but not audio from any Videos.

Here is my configuration: All files are stored on an external SSD portable device. I have two installations of MM5, one on the computer desktop (standard install, v5.0.4.2693) and one on the portable device (Samsung T7, Portable MM5, same version).

In testing I have used MM DirectSound output using Primary Sound Driver and also tested using MM WASAPI output using Default device and I get the same result.

If I use the MM5 Desktop installation, accessing the files on the SSD, music plays to the correct device (external DAC) and when I then select a video, that audio plays correctly (external DAC).

If I close the MM5 Desktop and open the MM5 Portable installation directly from the SSD, accessing the same file library and having the Portable Audio Output plugins set exactly the same as the desktop installation, I get a different result ---- music files play to the correct device (external DAC) but when I select a video file it plays the audio to the Speakers and not the external DAC.

I've even changed both plugins to specifically select the external DAC instead of the Primary or Default and still get the video's audio out of the speakers.

Its the same host computer, the same audio & video files being accessed, the same sound card, etc. The only difference appears to be the standard install of MM5 vs. the Portable install.

It looks like even though the Audio Output plugins are set the same, video audio does not use those plugins the same on a portable installation.

If I've missed something obvious or you need more testing, I'll be happy to work with you on this. Maybe I just don't understand the purpose of a portable installation but if the audio output .dll is saying where the output should go, why is video audio different on the portable?

FYI: External DAC for this is DragonFly Cobalt.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Portable Install not playing Video Audio Correctly

Post by Lowlander »

You need to set this in the video plugin in the options.
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Thanks for the quick response!

Specifically, which Video plug-in?

If you are referring to Player>Codecs /Input (plug-ins)>MediaMonkey Video Player v2.0 (f_video.dll) Configure.......both the desktop and the portable were set to "Default Device" and only the Desktop was working correctly, the Portable was playing through the speakers and not the DAC.

I did go in and change the Portable version to specifically DAC, saved it but the next time I looked at it.t was back to Default Device.

So, first, am I looking at the correct Video plug-in?

Second, I think I reported an issue with Option settings not being saved and when the program was closed and reopened they were back to original defaults ... this was also in the Video section (grid sort not staying):
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos Grid (by Videos) doesn't remember sort [#18561]
This was first reported in November of 2021 and actually assigned a ticket #018561 and was scheduled for being fixed in MM 5.03. Then it was moved to 5.1, now I see its been moved to 5.2 on 10-20-2022. This appears to be very simple --- the sort order for Video Grid is not being saved on exit. Video...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Videos Grid (by Videos) doesn't remember sort (00185610)
For what its worth, I think I found a "work-around" to keep the Grid (Videos) sort to stay set and not lost each time MM is restarted. I added a custom view in the Manage Views ---- Videos/View/Main Panel View/Manage Views/ (add new) ---- I called it "Test" and set the Sort to Title...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could this be the same thing --- the configuration setting not being saved and the next time the program is opened..in this case it went back to "speaker?".....

One more question, if I looked at the correct Input Plug-in, does that mean none of the Audio Output Plugins apply to Video's audio? (MM Direct Sound, MM WASAPI, etc)

And last, in the Video Codec Video Player, when the configuration is set to "Default Device" for Output Audio device what is that referring to....is it the device on the computer sound card that is marked "default" or is it the active Audio Plug-in device in MM or something else? Default Device = What?

Thanks for your help!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Roxie2401 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:08 pm Player>Codecs /Input (plug-ins)>MediaMonkey Video Player v2.0 (f_video.dll) Configure.......both the desktop and the portable were set to "Default Device" and only the Desktop was working correctly, the Portable was playing through the speakers and not the DAC.

I did go in and change the Portable version to specifically DAC, saved it but the next time I looked at it.t was back to Default Device.
It appears we have regression.

Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20539 for immediate fixing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Roxie2401

Re: Portable Install not playing Video Audio Correctly [#20539]

Post by Roxie2401 »

Thanks...similar to Grid sort by Title A-Z for Video grid. Works once but after program restart, back to default.

Both issues in the Video options.

Not a big deal....I found a work-around (Custom sort) for that.

This will get fixed sometime.

And I'm guessing this audio setting for video "default" is the host computer sound device "default" and not MM default, which means depending on what computer the "Portable" is connected to, the video's audio may change...mine may have the default "DAC" and yours may have the default sound device "speakers."