Migration a new device is confusing.

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Migration a new device is confusing.

Post by Barry4679 »

I have a new phone (android).
The standard android upgrade|migration procedure offers to migrate data and applications to the new phone. I chose all data categories except music, as I will keep the old phone as a player. I want the new phone to have an independant sync set from MMW.

I attached the new phone to MMW via usb.
MMW idenfied it as my old phone; ie it said my old Pixel6 was attached, instead of creating a new profile for my Pixel8.

I did want to destroy the MMW synch status of my new phone.

It was not clear what to do. ... ie. how to force MMW to create a new profile for the new device ... Or something in MMA UI to rename the device, so that MMW would then create a new profile.

Workaround. I went into the android Pixel8 configuration of MMA and forced it to discard its cache and storage.

Is there a more obvious and discoverable way to achieve this? If no, can it be improved?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Re: Migration a new device is confusing.

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the report!

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly: did your new phone get a copy of the MM sync profile from your old phone when you did a backup/recovery of your older device to the new device?

Aside: we'd made some improvements related to connections of existing devices to new sync servers in the most recent beta https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20070 , but this case in kind of the opposite.

-Rusty