MediaMonkey and Android Auto

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

njhaley1

MediaMonkey and Android Auto

Post by njhaley1 »

Hello everyone,
I have a general question on how MediaMonkey works and whether it would be suitable for my main use case. Like a few others, the death of Google Play Music and the inadequacies of YouTube Music have me moving on for better music services. I mainly listen to music while driving or hiking or trying to stay focused at work, and while many music services work for some of those purposes, not many seem to work very well with Android Auto - my primary use. I've been using Plex since GPM went away, and have been thoroughly disappointed in the level of service and development for Android Auto.
I'd like a service that I could upload my curated music to from a hard drive (way too large to put on my phone) and then listen to on my phone. Most of my music is live albums, and I've already spent quite a bit of time using MediaMonkey's free version on my laptop to organize a bunch of it for use on my Plex server.

Would MediaMonkey be able to do this, if I purchased a lifetime license and the Pro version of the app? Or would I only be able to play locally-stored music on my phone, and locally stored music on my laptop, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey and Android Auto

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying you want to connect an external drive to your Android Auto device?
njhaley1

Post by njhaley1 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm Are you saying you want to connect an external drive to your Android Auto device?
No - basically, if I have MM on my laptop and it has access to all of my music stored on a hard drive, can I then access all of that music on my phone through the MM app?

If so, does my laptop have to be running?

Hope that makes sense :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey on Windows can share to MediaMonkey on Android: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

Yes, the laptop needs to be running for this to work.
njhaley1

Post by njhaley1 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:40 pm Yes, MediaMonkey on Windows can share to MediaMonkey on Android: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

Yes, the laptop needs to be running for this to work.
Excellent - so my next question is whether I could run all of this on a rPi. I have found some posts suggesting it's possible, but my Google-fu must be off because I can't find a simple walk-through.

Really appreciate your help, I know it's not your job to work through a search for me, but I can't seem to find the level of detail I need like I could when setting up the Plex server. I'm not super-tech savvy, but I was at least able to figure out how to do that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey is Windows only.

There is MediaMonkey Server, but it's in early alpha: viewforum.php?f=31
njhaley1

Post by njhaley1 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 pm MediaMonkey is Windows only.

Thank you so much for the info, that's about as far as I had gotten. I'll look into the server. It looks like it's been slow-going so I'll try being patient :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

njhaley1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:02 pm
Lowlander wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 pm MediaMonkey is Windows only.

Thank you so much for the info, that's about as far as I had gotten. I'll look into the server. It looks like it's been slow-going so I'll try being patient :)
MMS currently only works correctly with MM5 that is not yet released ;) I see potential reason there.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jan Sloter

Post by Jan Sloter »

I use mm with android car.
Mm start automatic playing. How do I stop this, so mm don't start again?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Jan Sloter wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:32 am I use mm with android car.
Mm start automatic playing. How do I stop this, so mm don't start again?
Can you please explain in a bit more details eg. do you have Android, Android Auto, or Google Automotive OS Head Unit? What is the model/version of Head unit?
Additionally what options you have in MMA under ☰ -> Options -> Playback -> Remote controls You can see Mine below and it does not resume playback on connection. Same settings I have on my car Android 8 (Oreo) head unit and it also do not resume playback.

Best regards,
Peke
Jan Sloter

Post by Jan Sloter »

Hi Peke
Thanks for your reply.

I am using MM on a Android smartphone (Samsung S10+) together with Android Auto.
When Google.maps finished 'talking' the music starts (again), what I don't want.
Can you help me with this?
The automatic play is off.
(don;t know how to post a picture here)

Greetings,
Jan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Was MMA playing prior to this?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Jan Sloter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:14 am I am using MM on a Android smartphone (Samsung S10+) together with Android Auto.
When Google.maps finished 'talking' the music starts (again), what I don't want.
Can you help me with this?
The automatic play is off.
(don;t know how to post a picture here)
As soon as MMA starts playback again please use ☰ -> ? -> Send logs -> WRITE LOG ID here -> Send the log with OK.

As for picture check my signature on how to do it.
Best regards,
Peke