NAS in existing network could not be found

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Kottan

NAS in existing network could not be found

Post by Kottan »

I operate MMW5 in a network with several NAS. My music is stored on a Linux-based NAS, the relevant folders are mapped and could be found on my Windows 11 OS operated PC by other software like foobar2000 without any problems. However, MMMW5 does not find the NAS. Even if I input the correct IP address, the software says "could not be found".
As I couldn't find suitable answers to my problem when searching within this forum, I am going to post my request this way.
Regards
Kottan
Lowlander

Re: NAS in existing network could not be found

Post by Lowlander »

Can you browse it via File Explorer under Network?
Kottan

Post by Kottan »

Yes, I do.
From a remote PC or laptop, I only need to login as a registered user.
Following this step, I can access the released folders.
kind regards
Kottan
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you Copy/Paste here Path from Windows Files explorer address bar?

Also few screenshots of File explorer steps (no need for login dialog) you do to get access to files.

Do you need to enter login credentials each time PC restarts?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Kottan

Post by Kottan »

Can you Copy/Paste here Path from Windows Files explorer address bar?
Which path do you mean? The path where my media files on the NAS are located?
Also few screenshots of File explorer steps (no need for login dialog) you do to get access to files.
I don't need to make any steps rather than opening the corresponding path on my NAS. All relevant folders on the NAS are allocated already.
Do you need to enter login credentials each time PC restarts?
No, I don't.
kind regards
Kottan
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Kottan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:14 am Which path do you mean? The path where my media files on the NAS are located?
Yes, for me NAS path in File Explorer is at "\\192.168.10.25\Multimedia\"
Kottan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:14 am I don't need to make any steps rather than opening the corresponding path on my NAS. All relevant folders on the NAS are allocated already.
I am not sure how you access NAS, for me steps are File explorer -> This PC -> Enter "\\192.168.10.25\" in address bar (Network do not list the NAS) -> Navigate NAS -> Play files in MM. I then added "\\192.168.10.25\" to Quick access so I simply click on that.
Kottan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:14 amNo, I don't.
If no credentials are not needed then I do not see any issues MM not accessing NAS files, that is why I asked for screenshot to see what file explorer tree node you use to access NAS.
Best regards,
Peke
Kottan

Post by Kottan »

Hi Peke,
as I was too busy the last days I couldn't reply earlier to your post.
Please find my statement below.

According to my router's network device list, the IP address of my music NAS is http://192.168.178.103. I.e., I can access this address without any problems with my browser. If I input this address into the blank line "open file or URL", this is not accepted by MediaMonkey, MediaMonkey opens & plays a file located in the music folder of my PC instead.

I made the following observations:
  • in the "folder" section of MediaMonkey, mapped drives including subdirectories are listed and can be accessed
  • In the "network" section of MediaMonkey, the "Microsoft Windows Network" is empty !?
I have also to mention that both my local PC an the music NAS are in the same workgroup, users and rights are set correctly in the openmediavault OS of my music NAS. Shared folders are provided for accessing music files on the NAS. As I wrote already, this works with other software.
kind regards
Kottan
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
http:\\ .... address do not work as it is browser URL not UNCL path. Try pasting \\192.168.178.103\ to windows file explorer and see if you can access one folder with files then use File -> Add files to library -> Add Location -> Network -> Paste it -> click add -> Scan the folder. After few tracks are scanned 192.168.178.103 should show under Folders -> Network and you can then use INS key to scan the rest of Files.
Best regards,
Peke
Kottan

Post by Kottan »

Hi,
http:\\ .... address do not work as it is browser URL not UNCL path. Try pasting \\192.168.178.103\ to windows file explorer and see if you can access one folder with files
Worked!
then use File -> Add files to library -> Add Location -> Network -> Paste it -> click add -> Scan the folder.
Worked! I got a message from Media Monkey that - in my case - 12 files have been imported.
After few tracks are scanned 192.168.178.103 should show under Folders -> Network and you can then use INS key to scan the rest of Files.
This step failed. Unter "network", the newly imported path \\192.168.178.103\"folder name"\ did not appear.

Supplement #1:
I have to add that a new network participant is created by MM which name is "\\". But there are no subdirectories/folders in this participants list. Very strange.
Supplement #2:
I have started an import with all my albums under the path name \\192.168.178.103\MP3s\ . MM is importing now all albums.
I will wait for the result and will then reply once again.

Conclusion:
Waiting for the import, I realized that there are two directories in MM. As I use the German version, I give the genuine German name as well as my English translation (couldn't find the option to switch HMI to English):

One directory is named "Speicherorte" (Storage locations), the other one is named "Ordner" (Folders).
Whereas the latter includes a subfolder "Netzwerk" (network), where I looked all the time, there is the other folder "Speicherorte", and this folder now contains the imported files. Its structure is [Network]\192.168.178.103\MP3s\"subfolders", where subfolders are the folders including the imported .mp3-files.

I am a bit confused now. What is the difference between "Speicherorte" (Storage locations) and "Netzwerk" (network) what do I have to obey for the future?
kind regards
Kottan