Play to Cast fail to persist on MM restart [#20327]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

proteus

Play to Cast fail to persist on MM restart [#20327]

Post by proteus »

MM5 (5.1.0.2812) maintains the cast player during a power cycle of that player, this is great.

However the cast player is reset during a MM5 app stop/start cycle if the cast player is off.
This is inconsistent, and significant in the case of starting MM5 on OS start, and a computer power cycle occurs.

Request: Always remember the last cast device.

EDIT, and a related issue:

If the cast player is off and MM5 play is pressed, a informative message is presented. And after a few seconds playback ends. This is great.

However MM5 keeps retrying play. Pressing pause is overridden by repeated retries.
The only way to end this loop is to power on the cast player (and press its volume button).

Interestingly if I do the same thing from MMRemote5, the behavior is single try (as I would expect).
Strangely if (when cast player is off) I try from MMR5 (and it correctly tries once) and then try from MM5, MM5 exhibits the (correct) single try behavior.

Request: Initialize the MM5 cast/play state machine for consistent behavior (like MMR5)
Peke

Re: Play to Cast fail to persist on MM restart [#20327]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I was able to replicate partially on my system and added to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20327

As I see you already tested few things, it would be great if you can create step by step explanation what work and how to fully replicate issue you want us to fix/add?

NOTE: MM Remember last played device but auto downgrade to Internal Player if that device is unavailable, which looks like common case for you when device enters power safe/standby state (For me I needed to physically power off the device as it does not have power safe mode).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
proteus

Re: Play to Cast fail to persist on MM restart [#20327]

Post by proteus »

As I see you already tested few things, it would be great if you can create step by step explanation what work and how to fully replicate issue you want us to fix/add?
I try! From the outside it is pretty hard to know what the inputs and states are, so I attempt to start from default settings.
NOTE: MM Remember last played device but auto downgrade to Internal Player if that device is unavailable, which looks like common case for you when device enters power safe/standby state (For me I needed to physically power off the device as it does not have power safe mode).
Yes I see, my use case is Cast and MMRemote for control. I don't plan to use the new UI much (except for testing now) , the UI by the way is soooo much better with the new choice of colors.

As far as I can tell MM5 does not auto downgrade on cast player power cycle, only auto-degrade on MM5 cycle. Which is inconsistent. Not certain I understand your case. But depending on MM5 design goals my usage (MM5 as a serial track server) might need a "don't auto downgrade" option. In my case the server has no speakers so auto downgrades to a dead end, that I can't back out of with the remote.