User Interface Freezes [SOLVED]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

User Interface Freezes [SOLVED]

Post by MattTown »

Hi,

I've been having a UI freeze problem for a while now, over several release versions culimnating in the current 2820. This time I've got the debug app running with Debug Print and have a debug log for you, reported via ticket 6439.

Symptoms:
  • Running MM5 (past 3 releases to my recollection), playing songs and updating track metadata via inline endit, moving the screen around to get the track and field where I want it.
  • Screen freezes while the track keeps playing. Note that the action most likely to precipitate a freeze is scrolling the central main list view to the right.
  • Stays frozen for minutes, ie doesn't recover and proceed.
  • Terminate MM with Task Manger and repeat. Note that this process sometimes creates the Port 4000 in use warning on the next instance even though there was no MM in Task Manager.
This doesn't trash any data and MM starts up again where we left off, but it is inconvenient.

I have been running MM for a long time and I expect that my MM5 inherited settings from MM4. There seems to be a low threshold for me having problems, is there some means of refreshing MM to a clean slate without trashing all of my information?

Thanks
Matt 
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
MattTown

Re: User Interface Freezes [SOLVED]

Post by MattTown »

Peke solved this by recommending:
  • Upgrade to 2821, and
  • Disabling "Use hardware accelleration when available" in Tools>Options>General>Performance.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Peke

Re: User Interface Freezes [SOLVED]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MattTown wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:02 pm Disabling "Use hardware accelleration when available" in Tools>Options>General>Performance.
Often means something is not OK in sound card driver and MM can't use low levell hardware access. Now that you know how to fix issues you can try to search for newer driver manually. For start go to MB support page.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts