Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827 #20310]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]

Post by tbm72 »

Hi Peke,

Yes, still replicates for me every time (in latest build 5.1.0.2817). Here's some steps:

1) Make sure you have both the Playing and Preview panes visible in the right panel.
2) Drag the vertical separator bar to the left so the artwork width is quite wide
3) Drag the separator bar (between Playing/Preview panes) up so that all the text elements are displaying above the artwork
4) Quit and Restart MM5
5) The height of the right panel separator bar isn't remembered

See screenshot of before and after restarting MM5:

So as you said before, the width of the right hand panel is remembered but the height (between the Playing and Preview panes) is not.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can replicate but on second restart strange. See my recording with 2817.
https://app.screencast.com/t2YOp6QF2ns50

Reopened.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Marked as fixed but still happens in 2819 build.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

tbm72 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:01 am Marked as fixed but still happens in 2819 build.
Strange, I can't replicate anymore after the fix.. :-/

Is it that just height isn't remembered or also width?

Could you please catch it in a debug log (item 4b here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) and attach to eSupport ticket for analyzing?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

It fails to hold its size for me under the following circumstance.

Starting with a fairly narrow "now playing" if I resize the preview box higher than it needs to be to contain the image and the text - ie there is blank space above the image.

Then I close MM and restart. Upon restart, it has resized itself down to eliminate the blank space. This actually makes some sense, as it is just eliminating wasted space.

If I widen the now playing quite a bit, it holds the width, but loses its height setting even if it is set to just contain the image and text. Upon restart, the text overlaps the image. This bit is not so good for someone who would like a larger image.

Conversely if I shrink it down too short so text overlaps image, it will stay "too short" upon restart. Some might want it that way.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

In the end I've found it easier to just disable the 'playing' panel from the right hand pane so I only have the Preview pane taking the whole space on the right:

In my opinion it would be nice if the Preview pane could just automatically resize its height to fit both the artwork and text together without over-running the text onto the artwork if you have album or artist fields with long names but the way I've set it above is OK for me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try as I might, I can't reproduce. Preview always retains set height over restart. I though that maybe Lyrics lookup was an issue, but disabling it didn't do anything.

Funny enough, enabling Lyrics panel, did cause this issue once. However, I can't reproduce that either anymore.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Could this be skin-related.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks for trying but no worries, I'll just work around it by disabling the playing pane as above.

One last clue if you did want to look into it further might be that it only happens for me when MM is maximised full screen (which it always is when I run it).

I found that if I restore down the window so it isn't maximised, the height of the pane seems to be correctly remembered even after restarting MM. So it only doesn't remember the height correctly for me when the program window is maximised.

But don't worry about looking into it any more, not a big deal :)

(Also, no, doesn't seem to be skin-related - does it on all skins for me.)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

tbm72 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:55 am One last clue if you did want to look into it further might be that it only happens for me when MM is maximised full screen (which it always is when I run it).
That's it!!

I can finally replicate (when MM window is maximized).

Thanks!
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm
That's it!!
I can finally replicate (when MM window is maximized).
Thanks!
:D
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Sorry, this is marked as fixed again but it still isn't for me!

Another way to test it is:

1) Make sure MM program window is maximised
2) Resize the height of the preview pane by dragging the separator bar up high
3) Click the restore down icon so the program window becomes 'un-maximised'
4) Click maximise icon so the window becomes full screen again
5) It loses the height setting from step 2) above

Maybe this is just something that can't be fixed?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That I'm able to reproduce, the key here is that the window height needs to be smaller (so Preview has to resize to fit).

I re-opened the issue.
MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi,
I think my problem is along the same lines as this request. I have the Preview Widget below the Media Tree on the left panel. I adjust the width to match the album cover being displayed and MM5 will readjust the width to match the width of longest text displayed in the Media Tree. I believe this request is asking for the width to be fixed and I'd like to add my voice to the request.

I am running 5.0.4.2690

TIA,
MPG
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I think your problem sounds a bit different, although it's possibly related.

My issue is that the height isn't remembered correctly of the separator between the preview pane (with the artwork and track info etc) and the 'playing' pane above it each time MM is restarted, so all the track info usually runs over onto the artwork.

It still isn't fixed for me so now I just disable the 'playing' pane so the whole right column just displays the preview pane without the need for a separator.