Using a new SD card instead of internal storage

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

archaicmeander

Using a new SD card instead of internal storage

Post by archaicmeander »

Hi folks,

I have MMW and MMA (on an S10+) with MM Gold and everything's been going pretty well. I found a 256Gb SD card that I want to use in my phone for the increased storage; up until now I've only used the internal storage. I inserted the SD card and added it as the new default sync location and all that, but now some weird things are happening and I have questions.

The SD card is the new default sync location and all of my music, as far as I can tell, is still working as expected on my phone. But I think all the files are in their original location, so I'm not making use of that sweet new storage space. Nothing is selected to auto-sync to the SD card yet; if I select any of the music I want there and then sync, it shows up in my library twice, and I have to un-check it in the auto-sync settings for the internal storage. Is there a way to duplicate the sync settings that I was using for internal storage over to the SD card, so I don't have to redo all that manually?

My bigger concern is with playlists; all of the playlists I've created on MMA have been synced multiple times and show up normally in MMW, so I expected them to be available to sync to my SD card as well. But they don't appear on the auto-sync options for the SD card. So my ultimate question is, how do I get all of my music and playlists transferred over to be stored on the SD card without losing anything?

Thank you!
Lowlander

Re: Using a new SD card instead of internal storage

Post by Lowlander »

1) Internal and external (SD) storage are basically 2 separate devices. Each have full independent Sync and MediaMonkey can't Sync between the 2.

2) Where in MMW do the Playlists from your phone show? In the Playlists node? If so, they should be selectable for Sync.

3) You can export/import device profiles in MMW, however this doesn't include the Sync List.
19cardinals

Post by 19cardinals »

I'd like to do this exact thing but have not yet bought the SD card. Did you get it to work?
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

I do have my phone configured to have MMA use the SD card to host the data and have MM5 configured to sync to that card instead of the phone itself, and it is now working really well.

Unfortuantely I can't say that it was a smooth path to get there. I had to try lots of stuff to get it working in the first place and for a while (on a previous phone) I couldn't get MM5 to recognise the existence of the SD card device to configure it. I'd recommend persistence and paying close attention to the help texts and board suggestions.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.