Auto tagging problem

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

boristhemoggy

Auto tagging problem

Post by boristhemoggy »

I have filled in all the deets and am now asking MM to auto tag all my files, including inserting lyrics and checking file name formats, and compiling albums.
Everything seems to be going swimmingly, except, it seems to be saving all the finished files to Window's default Music folder. The folder where all my music resides is in an external drive.
I deleted the portable version of MM5 that I was using, downloaded a brand new version, and still the same thing is happening.
What's going on? Why is it using Windows default music folder please?
Lowlander

Re: Auto tagging problem

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you may have enabled Auto-Organize. It would trigger on any tag changes.
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

There are 2 boxes to choose locations on the C drive and neither of them are ticked. And I can't find a way to stop what it's doing at the moment. It's re scanning the entire database with about 3 hours to go :(
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Brilliant. I shut it down and it has deleted 26,000 music tracks.
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Sorry for swearing but I am devastated. I lost over 31,000 tracks altogether from the backup drive. It's an SSD so they won't recover.
I have never in my life used the Music folder in Windows User folder, so why would MM see fit to move my files there? Why would it delete the files from the original drives and leave empty folders there? Why would it delete the files it had erroneously copied, just because I shut the programme down? There's clearly some serious bug in this program.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

boristhemoggy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:45 pmThere are 2 boxes to choose locations on the C drive and neither of them are ticked.
I don't understand this statement. Where exactly are you seeing this?

Check the Recycling Bin for deleted files, and are you sure they weren't moved?
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:25 am
boristhemoggy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:45 pmThere are 2 boxes to choose locations on the C drive and neither of them are ticked.

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:25 am

In settings, where you can set a path, no path leads to the C drive. I have just been through every page of settings, and no path leads to the C drive. So I set it to autotag again, with the location as a folder in the E drive.
But yet again it is moving all the files into the Music folder on the C drive, deleting the originals from the E drive where they reside, (backup drive) and many, many albums are being copied into a folder it has created called Unknown. Yet they are clearly marked with the names of the artist.
At least I am not losing anything this time, but I probably have to spend a couple of hours putting albums back into their artist folders.
Can anyone at all suggest why MM is doing this? I can find absolutely nothing in settings to suggest why it might be.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Under options, if you look in the "auto-organize" heading

- Is "Automatically organize files....." at the bottom checked? If so uncheck it.

- Is there a "criteria" "Directory" "file format" in the upper window of that page of options?

- If so can you post what those read?

IE if it says "Collections" and you double click that, a new window opens with a formula on the bottom line - post that

I think this area is where your issue might be.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

I don't know how to add screenshots to this, but the path in both areas is the path I've had for years, it's never changed. And it's correct.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If Auto-Organize didn't do it, it may have been a drag & drop action. MediaMonkey is not know to move files on it's own, only when told to do so by the user.

Screenshots: viewtopic.php?t=97733
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:45 pm If Auto-Organize didn't do it, it may have been a drag & drop action. MediaMonkey is not know to move files on it's own, only when told to do so by the user.

Screenshots: viewtopic.php?t=97733
Oh well that's strange, I just found a path that leads to c users. MM is putting it in. I have turned it off in disgust cos I am fed up with what it's done tonight. Also every time I start it is defaulting to unregistered, and I lose all my settings. So I have to continually put my key in and reset everything. Had enough tonight.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you seeing this with? It sounds like you may be using some sort of system/registry cleaner that's removing the MediaMonkey settings.