I really don't understand how columns are saved

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

I really don't understand how columns are saved

Post by ed.j »

Like a previous post, this is re a new installation of MM5, most recent version from the main download page.

I spent a while choosing the right columns and their widths (whilst in an auto playlist, "best" view although I've not noticed this before and thought it was "List (by album)" which it looked identical to, with column filter on)

After a while setting it all up properly I went to another playlist. The columns were similar but widths all over the place, some old ones added in and some removed.

Went back to the old playlist and the columns were the right ones but the widths were messed up. So i got them how I wanted them to be and thought it would be sensible to do Manage Views - Add New layout -> save. No. This messed it up again.

So I spent time AGAIN setting them up. Now if I go to other playlists etc the columns stay the same. But there has been little rhyme or reason to it. Whatever the format or preferred route is to set the columns as you want, it's not clear, nor intuitive. It's a mess.

Edit: Just went to a collection and it's random/default/rubbish all over again. And the layout I saved in the playlist view isn't available. What the f?

Edit2: I've just realised that "best" view was what I had saved as a view - but it didn't ring a bell as it had no bearing on the view that I'd created. Come in :roll:
ed.j

Re: I really don't understand how columns are saved

Post by ed.j »

And just when I thought I had it more or less sorted out, and restarted MM in an attempt to "lock in" the changes....... a bunch of old columns came back.

Absolute crock of sh** and I'm tempted to spend a week setting up foobar because I know it will work without fail.

--- As can be seen from my join date I've used MM for at least 12 years (closer to 15 I guess) and am still infuriated by the most basic of expected features.

Oh and WASAPI output is jittery to a DAC. Great
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

.... and trying to set search results to have the same view as a playlist or collection isn't possible. Great!!!
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

And if you save a custom view with a default sort order, that won,t stick, it changes to whatever you used last for that view. Default should be default.

Also, I agree totally, my custom views should be available in all nodes

I fear this is a sore subject and will not be accepted as bugfix or feature request
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

@Lowlander?
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

sophiaWindsor02 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:51 am They find it confusing to save and manage column layouts in different playlists. Despite their efforts, the columns' widths and settings keep changing unpredictably, leading to a messy experience.
Thank you, AI, but I am hoping for a response from a dev.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

ed.j wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:22 pm I'm tempted to spend a week setting up foobar because I know it will work without fail.
So I did this, and it's fantastic. Stable and uses a seriously small amount of RAM. Highly customisable. MM is a thing of the past for me now.