[REQ] Floating lyrics Panel or Window

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Re: [REQ] Floating lyrics Panel or Window

Post by drakinite »

MikeGahrns wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:48 pm Hi Drakinite, This looks really interesting.

Any chance you could also add the ability to undock any playlist panel? My main problem with MM is that it is very difficult to curate lots of playlists.

Having the ability to have multiple playlists open in several windows (on potentially multiple monitors) so that you can drag and drop songs to move or copy them between playlists would be very helpful.

Often I want to listen to a song, and then from a bunch of potential playlists listen to other songs that I think would fit nicely after it. Once I found that song, I want to move or copy it from that source playlist to the right location in the destination playlist.
Hmm, doing playlists would be a bit more complex than playing and lyrics, but it might be feasible. I'll look into it.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:24 am
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:20 pm 1. The undocked Lyrics window does not remember the position. Each time, I restart MM5, I have to undock Lyrics window and move to my desired position.

2. Can there be a keyboard shortcut to invoke to show/hide the undocked Lyrics window?

3. Can there be a way to alter and increase the font size of the Lyrics in the Lyrics window?
1. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about that. Dialog windows can't save their previous location, because if the monitor arrangement changes, it would be possible for dialogs to exist in a location that is not accessible.

2. Sure. Added in v1.1.1, it's available on the site.

3. Yeah, I agree that the font size can be a bit too small when it's undocked. But since the font size is pretty unrelated to the docking mechanism, I figured it makes more sense to have it as a separate addon. https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... font-size/
Thank you very much! Definitely a great improvement for my setup!

In MM 4, there is a addon called Lyrics and Comment viewer. It can remember the position of the floating window.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ts-viewer/

I wonder if some of the code or idea could be translated or transferred to this Undock Panels

As for the shortcut, I notice that pressing the same shortcut does not hide the window. It sometimes open another undocked Lyrics window. It would be great if the same shortcut could be use for hide and showing the Undock Panels.

Thank you!
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:11 am Thank you very much! Definitely a great improvement for my setup!

In MM 4, there is a addon called Lyrics and Comment viewer. It can remember the position of the floating window.

I wonder if some of the code or idea could be translated or transferred to this Undock Panels

As for the shortcut, I notice that pressing the same shortcut does not hide the window. It sometimes open another undocked Lyrics window. It would be great if the same shortcut could be use for hide and showing the Undock Panels.

Thank you!
No problem :)

Re Lyrics and Comments Viewer: I don't believe that the code made for this addon would be able to be directly transferred to Lyrics and Comments Viewer. However, as we get more advanced MM5 addons which add new dockable controls, it might be worth exposing an "undockable" API with this addon, allowing authors to add undocking functionality without needing to copy a bunch of code.

Re shortcuts: Good point. Added in version 1.2.1, available on the site now.

Oh yeah - and it's v1.2+ because playlists are now supported :wink:

P.S. The method for communicating the hotkeys across multiple dialogs was a bit hacky, so maybe there'll be some glitches. Please lmk if you encounter any weird issues with hotkeys with the addon enabled.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MikeGahrns

Post by MikeGahrns »

Wow, that was quick and huge thanks. This is something I have been wanting for a long time.

I am away from my main computer for a while, but will test this out and let you know if I see any problems as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:47 pm
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:11 am Thank you very much! Definitely a great improvement for my setup!

Thank you!
No problem :)

Re Lyrics and Comments Viewer: I don't believe that the code made for this addon would be able to be directly transferred to Lyrics and Comments Viewer. However, as we get more advanced MM5 addons which add new dockable controls, it might be worth exposing an "undockable" API with this addon, allowing authors to add undocking functionality without needing to copy a bunch of code.

Re shortcuts: Good point. Added in version 1.2.1, available on the site now.

Oh yeah - and it's v1.2+ because playlists are now supported :wink:

P.S. The method for communicating the hotkeys across multiple dialogs was a bit hacky, so maybe there'll be some glitches. Please lmk if you encounter any weird issues with hotkeys with the addon enabled.
Thanks for the update! Will report back if there are any weird issues.

Hopefully, you can find a way to make the Undock Panels remember the position. It is the only thing that is prevents it from being awesome.
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Hello drakinite,

I got an idea for a way to make the Undock Panels remember the position. I am not sure if it would be possible.

Is it possible to add X and Y position fields into the configure options of the Undock Panel Add-on? Much similar to how codemonkey skin has colour options for the skin.

If this is possible, users would be able to key in X and Y Values(+/-) of the position.

Thank you.
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:42 am Hello drakinite,

I got an idea for a way to make the Undock Panels remember the position. I am not sure if it would be possible.

Is it possible to add X and Y position fields into the configure options of the Undock Panel Add-on? Much similar to how codemonkey skin has colour options for the skin.

If this is possible, users would be able to key in X and Y Values(+/-) of the position.

Thank you.
Hey drakinite,

Any updates on this if this is feasible?

Thank you.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:29 am
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:42 am Hello drakinite,

Thank you.
Hey drakinite,

Any updates on this if this is feasible?

Thank you.
Hey, I think I got a notification for this thread from a post that was moved to its own topic, but I see that I never saw or replied to this question from last year. Really sorry about that!

Unfortunately, if you hard-code the X and Y position of the dialog into the settings, there's a reasonable likelihood of the window appearing off-screen if you change your monitor settings, such as plugging in a new monitor, rearranging them, or changing your scaling settings. Additionally, I don't think there's currently a way for a MM addon to specify the location of a dialog being opened, without modifying some of MM's source code.

I heard about some Windows PowerToys that give you some really extensive control over window snapping (I believe it's this one: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... fancyzones). I haven't tried it, but maybe it lets you set a hotkey to snap specific programs/windows to their own dedicated places. If it's able to do that, I think it would give you better control over what you're looking for than with an X/Y position slider.