External Access (Feature Request?)

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

timjtech

External Access (Feature Request?)

Post by timjtech »

I'm loving that I can put in a URL for my MediaMonkey server now in MMA. I wish it were possible to open the port and access it over WAN. I've been able to get sync working remotely via VPN but having MM5 be available wherever I am is my dream setup.
Is this going to be possible sometime in the future? Right now even to sync remotely I have to ignore that wifi is unavailable, but it works fine.
Peke

Re: External Access (Feature Request?)

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That depends on Your ISP, currently most ISPs uses CG-NAT to share bandwidth. I personally have Static IP and also IPv6 that is solution for CG-NAT due the fact that each Device on LAN directly connect to internet.

I also have paid hosting plan that allows me to DDNS my IP and have domain to access my MM. The results are that I can access MM5 DLNA server and play tracks.

Try opening port on router be that Forward or DMZ. Enter IP address and port you get from http://checkip.dyndns.org/ onto Phone browser and if no info is shown and your router is set correctly then you are most likely behind CG-NAT.

CG-NAT check
https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-che ... orms_CGNAT
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that you can stream over the internet (outside local network), but DLNA isn't designed for this, thus has no access security. Anyone that knows your IP and Port would be able to access your MediaMonkey Library.
timjtech

Post by timjtech »

Thanks both! I do have external access available (I don't mind having the port opened for just access to MM library) and the DeviceDescription.xml shows up in my browser but the server just responds with "Server inaccessible". I see it in the sync list too, when I click the "Ignore" button but the sync fails every time :/. I have my MM accepting all incoming connections, and it's listening on "Any" IP address.

The sync works on my internal network fine. What could be blocking here?