New hard drive, new patch 3% of files are able to be played

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMhow2

New hard drive, new patch 3% of files are able to be played

Post by MMhow2 »

UGH. So frustrated with MM.

This has happened many times, even with the same hard drive over the years. For some reason, a few rando songs are not able to be played/located when MM is opened again. Now that I am using a new SSD, the MM folder has moved from R:\ to V:\. The rest of the path is the same. Here is what makes no sense. Below are files that were present and able to be played when I closed MM. The next time I opened MM I got this;

File is inaccessible: R]\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\Classic Rock\Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced.mp3
File is inaccessible: R:\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\Rockabye Baby\Tool! - Schism.mp3
File is inaccessible: R]\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\Rockabye Baby\Madonna - Crazy For You.mp3
File is inaccessible: R\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\80's\Talk Talk - It's My Life.mp3
File is inaccessible: R]\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\80's\The Church - Under The Milky Way.mp3
File is inaccessible: R:\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\50's & 60's\The Temptaions - Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me).mp3
File is inaccessible: R\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\90-20\Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale.mp3
File is inaccessible: R6423-94E0]\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\Rockabye Baby\When In Rome - The Promise.mp3
File is inaccessible: R:\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\70's\Used\Donna Summer - Bad Girls.mp3
File is inaccessible: R]\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\Classic Rock\Rush - Bastille Day (my edit).mp3

All these files MM found my previous session. For some gremlin reason, MM alter arbitrary files and changed their path to R]\ from R:\. I will manually go in and fix the path and continue my day. The next time I open MM, it is the same issue, but different files. There might be more or less than the previous time. SMH

Now that I have move the database to a new SSD, it is the exact opposite of a situation; MM can find a few songs (like 10-15 out of a playlist that has over a 100 in it), but the rest are unable to be found even though they are in the SAME folder.

I went into the File tab and made sure everything was pointing to the new V:\ path. The only thing I did not do is restore the database. God only knows what would happen then.

This is some serious rando stuff that has been buggy for the years I have been using MM. Fix?

Not sure why the image of the current issue won't show up as an image, but the url below is where the screenshot is hosted at.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/j7iki59j ... s.JPG/file
Last edited by MMhow2 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
MMhow2

Re: New hard drive, new patch 3% of files are able to be played

Post by MMhow2 »

By the way, File is inaccessible: R:\MAIN BLACKBIRD\MM5 Project - Master Music\70's\Used\Donna Summer - Bad Girls.mp3 is not my song/playlist. Just wanted to make that clear.
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

After changing drive, did you re-assign the drive in MediaMonkey to update MediaMonkey to the new drive?

This is what should be done when swapping drives or systems, and it updates the driveID to the new driveID. After this everything that was working before should continue to work.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Yep already checked that. Here is what I see, which is correct. I have to be missing something...

https://www.mediafire.com/view/nvt3q3fk ... 2.JPG/file
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That shows 2 drives in Location without any drive information. Could the problem files be on those?
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

SCORE! G2G now. Peace has been restored. Thank you
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Spoke too soon... All my playlists are gone now. Actually they are not gone, there is nothing in them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it sounds like you never actually updated the drive for the existing files in the Library, but instead scanned them in again. This would lead to duplicates, copies that don't play and empty Playlists when you remove the original copies.

If you have a backup of the database file use it, make sure only files from the old drive(s) are in the MediaMonkey Library and then update the driveID to the new drive. Once these old files work, you can rescan the new drive for any new files.

At this point I suggest to keep all copies of your databases so you can revert to any if the results are not desirable.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I do run the weekly backups, keeping the last five at a time. I had to restore one of those. Got nailed with a massive Imported Playlists playlist, but just went in a delete the trees until I was back to the original ones with each list populated and directed to the correct path. All the Played# are gone, but not a huge deal. Thanks Lowlander
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

MMhow2 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:13 pm I do run the weekly backups, keeping the last five at a time. I had to restore one of those. Got nailed with a massive Imported Playlists playlist, but just went in a delete the trees until I was back to the original ones with each list populated and directed to the correct path. All the Played# are gone, but not a huge deal. Thanks Lowlander

How do you run backups in MM5? I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks in advance.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Under menu - File, manage database
- first browse for location for your backup (the default is the same folder as the original)
- then run backup now
- set up periodic automatic backup if desired (usually off by default - why??)

Note that this does nothing to back up your music itself, only the data file, and only as long as your Built-in Storage (hdd/ssd) remains accessible.

My preference for external backup is a portable HDD, using a program such as total commander to back up whatever I need.
Run compare, and it shows you a list of files missing from the backup, and copies them as needed.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Okay I have scoured my MM interface. WHERE do I fine the "Collection" option so I can right click on "Library? Need some breadcrumbs to be able to accomplish this https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Collections are items like Music and Videos in the Media Tree. In the sub-node Location you can select the drive.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

Thank you