Show 'all' node, in MM5?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

Show 'all' node, in MM5?

Post by MMFrLife »

In MM4 there is OPTIONS > LIBRARY > APPEARANCE > Show 'All' node for contents of folders at [select position]

Is there an equivalent in MM5?
I looked around in OPTIONS to no avail. Seems like one of the developers posted this as a script in a thread somewhere.
I also looked around in the Addons section of the site and nothing stood out.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Re: Show 'all' node, in MM5?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can't bring Back ALL tree node in MM5, but you enable listing of content in subfolder under the icon in top right corner above track browser while you are in Folder/Location browser.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Can you direct me to where folder/location is? Or, how to enable it, as I only see things like Location under Entire Library and
Folders, which appears to be the equivalent of 'my computer'.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sure here it is:
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Well, I rely heavily on the 'all' display. The broadest way to do it is with a general search but that's highly annoying.
The folder content button appears to have potential as a decent alternative if it must be separated out from the tree.

The major problem of inconvenience, I see at this point, is it's distance from the tree.
Will the ability to move such buttons to major areas like a tree border be part of future layout
manipulation?

I just recently noticed that the shortcut buttons were added, of which, I rely heavily on as well.
Although, at this point they are restricted to a toolbar at the top (left).
Again, I need to be able to move such things to a tree side border as in MM4. :D

So, you see, I move something like 'folder content' button, as you pointed out, and 'find same (library)' button to tree side border
and it simulates as a direct/convenient functionality of the tree via proximity. About the closest you can get without integrating.

These kinds of things may often seem like little niceties but in my mind are pro level development moves, whereas limiting to top or bottom borders continues the workflow annoyance factor. :roll:

I'm hoping this will be part of the layout development to come. Very depressing if not. :(
Anyway, just continuing to reasonably express my MM hopes and dreams. :wink:
Last edited by MMFrLife on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:28 pm I rely heavily on the 'all' display.
Setting is persistent so when you enable it it will work for that tree node.

Re search: MM5 separated global from inline search so if you type in tree browser Inline view filter is activated instantly, much easier than global search.

Re positions: Glue points and more position customization are planned, but unfortunately due the lack of resources more functional features have bit more priority :( Mainly because it takes bit longer to develop it correctly in whole UI that will work in multi platform later than with MM4 and earlier versions where UI was limited to Windows Only.
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:Setting is persistent so when you enable it it will work for that tree node.
Yes, that is what I mean is the good part. :D
Peke wrote:Re search: MM5 separated global from inline search so if you type in tree browser Inline view filter is activated instantly, much easier than global search.
hmmm.....sounds interesting....not sure exactly what you mean.
Can you give an example with ">" style steps/breadcrumbs?
Peke wrote:Mainly because it takes bit longer to develop it correctly in whole UI that will work in multi platform later than with MM4 and earlier versions where UI was limited to Windows Only.
Ah, so now I understand the reason why it might not take too terribly long, but it will probably be a little bit longer than a
little bit (haha). :wink:
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:55 pm hmmm.....sounds interesting....not sure exactly what you mean.
Can you geive an example with ">" style steps/breadcrumbs?
Sure. Here is example when I added 3k to Now Playing and then Typed "Roxette" while focused on playing track I get them easily filtered along with Track positions in Now Playing
MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:55 pm Yes, that is what I mean is the good part.
I agree, but was just clearing out for anyone else reading this topic ;)
MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:55 pm Ah, so now I understand the reason why it might not take too terribly long, but it will probably be a little bit longer than a
little bit (haha)
No offense taken ;) Most of UI code is Transparent so it can be edited by anyone that knows HTML, CSS, jScript and can be either ask us to include it is next build or publish as separate addon :)
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:No offense taken ;) Most of UI code is Transparent so it can be edited by anyone that knows HTML, CSS, jScript and can be either ask us to include it is next build or publish as separate addon :)
No offense intended. I guess something got lost in translation. The first part of that statement was serious about helping me understand the reasons why it would take a little longer than it might otherwise take. The haha part was only at the way I playfully conveyed that at the end. Actually, you are kind of my hero right now the way you have been helping me understand what may be in store.
Peke wrote:Sure. Here is example when I added 3k to Now Playing and then Typed "Roxette" while focused on playing track I get them easily filtered along with Track positions in Now Playing
Hmmm....I'm not sure what you are trying to demonstrate here. First off, by 'in-line' do you mean 'within the list'?
In the MM4 search menu global and filelist search appeared to be separate things. Are you saying that in the background
process they were tied together and needed to be separated for better operation?

I originally just meant, global search is a crude/rudimentary way of trying to group together an Album Artist's albums. You have the sometimes problem of other things showing up, unless you spend annoying time narrowing search parameters to hope it isolates desired grouped items perfectly or finding all the right tracks and moving them over to 'now playing' list for isolation.
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm No offense intended. I guess something got lost in translation.
I understood you correctly, that is why I said that. MM5 was big change and at start 2015 I was against whole change eg. why change something that works, but they persuade me and I am glad they did, because this approach is much better and for us MM elders it is something to get used too.
MMFrLife wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm Hmmm....I'm not sure what you are trying to demonstrate here. First off, by 'in-line' do you mean 'within the list'?
In the MM4 search menu global and filelist search appeared to be separate things. Are you saying that in the background
process they were tied together and needed to be separated for better operation?
Yep, you got it correctly. Yes In-line meant Withing showed list, Entire library -> All tracks too. and yes we separated it fully (no drop selection is needed anymore) for faster access and it works much much faster.

Re global Search: I personally rarely use it as inline do the work.

Files to edit tree nodes are also improved and better than in MM4 you should check that for grouping albums.
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:I understood you correctly, that is why I said that. MM5 was big change and at start 2015 I was against whole change eg. why change something that works, but they persuade me and I am glad they did, because this approach is much better and for us MM elders it is something to get used too.
Okay. Much respect for admitting that! :lol: Yes, there is a lot to fear when you know of how many awesome things MM4 can
already do. The more I play with MM5 the more I like I it, but there are still too many limitations for me to use it exclusively.

I'm currently using it simultaneously with MM4 (both are always open and have drive continuously monitored,
picking up changes in both, as I edit and alter some things in one and then move to the other for certain edits and back and forth; working well so far). So, I know the pain all too well. But, again, there are plenty of positives.
Peke wrote:...All tracks too..........Files to edit tree nodes are also improved and better than in MM4 you should check that for grouping albums.
Okay. I will look into that some more.

Thanks!
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MMFrLife wrote:I'm currently using it simultaneously with MM4 (both are always open and have drive continuously monitored,
picking up changes in both, as I edit and alter some things in one and then move to the other for certain edits and back and forth; working well so far).
Well, I tried my little experiment, and not so great. :-?
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, or is sketchy/partial. Also, I suspect the process is too rapidly using up the memory.

I'll need to revert back to MM4 for now.
I'll check back in, maybe after the final release of 5.1

I forgot to ask earlier...

IN MM4 we have OPTIONS >LIBRARY > Display files in each root Collection node
MM5 equivalent?

Initially, when I was trying to hunt down the 'all' node, I thought of the 'root collection node' display as a temp alternative, but for
some reason it wasn't working. I looked around in settings and couldn't find it, if it exists. Anyway, it is working now, not sure why.
😜