Newbie to Media Monkey - car stereo head unit use

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

scottywiper

Newbie to Media Monkey - car stereo head unit use

Post by scottywiper »

Hi all
I'm no tech expert so bear with me.
I need a new car stereo and have for many years had an Ipod in glovebox that was controlled from head unit. Always just had it playing all tracks random so it was like my own radio station!
Anyhoo, head unit has had it and no one really does Ipod wired connections any more.
My preference is a similar set up, so was thinking a USB with all my Media Monkey stuff on it (songs, playlists etc)... I want to keep the same lists etc I have built over 20 years.
I really want to keep my phone separate from my music use...including fact I don't have enough memory on phone to store all the music
Been checking out stereo units online...it seems an Android based unit is go.
Could I then install MMA to unit itself (rather than my phone) and either play files (songs, playlists) from a USB stick or even upload to unit's memory?
All help appreciated!
Peke

Re: Newbie to Media Monkey - car stereo head unit use

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This really depends on Android head unit you buy. Some are good some are bad, I would suggest that you check XDA forums for any model you want to buy and decide which one is best.

Personally MTC?(D/E/F/H/...) works best as they are very much supported by XDA MOD community and often better build than others. Personally I have installed many DASAITA (HOTAUDIO) Head units and received exceptional support from them and also MOD community, others that are recommended by XDA are Joying, but quality depends from device to device.

Often cheapest ones do not work and I would not go below 6/8 cores, 4 GB and 32 ROM as a minimum.

With that said let me answer your question. I personally use MMA on Head unit and sync using WiFi to SDCard. USB Drives are mounted as OTG storage and MMA2 still not fully support them as intended due the way how MMA maps Drives IDs and way how head units handle them (which are usually workaround hacks) so not recommended. The best I use is to sync several playlists from MM5 and play them while driving. Steering wheel controls work normally (at least for me in my car).

If you find few that you would buy, feel free to add links here and I'll be glad to help you investigate and give you my suggestion/analyze.

NOTE: High Price do not means it is good, so do not be fooled.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts