MMW4 not reading files that MMW5 can

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

atrivedi

MMW4 not reading files that MMW5 can

Post by atrivedi »

Although I primarily use MMW5 Gold, I still fall back on MMW4 Gold while tagging files so I can use some of the plugins. I find MMW4 doesn't see and read some files in random directories. The files are mostly m4a with some mp3. They are all fully accessible and playable through other programmes.

More importantly, MMW5 sees and reads these files into its database perfectly, plays them and saves changes to tags.

Any thoughts on why this happens in MMW4 would be greatly appreciated. My library is over 200,000 tracks and using the bulk tagging plugins in v4 is a huge help. Otherwise I'm doing a few thousand tracks manually one at a time!
Peke

Re: MMW4 not reading files that MMW5 can

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you can isolate few tracks and supply us DL link in Support ticket we can analyze them, but most possible cause is that MM5 already included fixes for uncommon format for those files and that is why MM5 play/use them normally.

Can you please let us know what apps you used to test so that we can compare?
atrivedi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 pm My library is over 200,000 tracks and using the bulk tagging plugins in v4 is a huge help. Otherwise I'm doing a few thousand tracks manually one at a time!
Just curious, what exactly you use in MM4 that is missing in MM5?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
atrivedi

Re: MMW4 not reading files that MMW5 can

Post by atrivedi »

Thanks. I'll set up a download link for those tracks in a separate post. The comparison was done using MMW5 and Windows Media player. Both played the tracks independently.

Primarily I still use MM4 for the Regexp Find & Replace plugin. So I finish tagging in v4 and then import them in to v5. It's a tool that is indispensable when trying to clean out a large library.