MMW5 Casting Fails [#20006]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

davru

MMW5 Casting Fails [#20006]

Post by davru »

MMW5 will cast to a variety of Chromecast Audio, Chromecast and Google Home/Hub devices on our network. However, there is one Chromecast Audio device that will not work. The device shows in the list when I click on the Cast icon. MMW5 shows "Connecting", then "Buffering". At that point it fails and error on screen shows "the speaker is turned off or inaccessible".

A check of the list of devices associated with the server in Tools/Options shows the device as "Unknown" with no MAC or IP address. (I have "Share automatically" enabled.) It does show the correct device name however. I've tried rebooting the router, laptop with MMW5 installed and Chromecast Audio device. If MMW5 fails, I can still successfully cast from Chrome browser or other Windows programs with casting ability. Also can cast from MMA using the laptop server. Router shows device with MAC and IP address assigned. MMW5 will cast successfully to other Chromecast Audio devices on the network. This has been going on for a few days. Before that it worked fine.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Dave V
Peke

Re: MMW5 Casting Fails

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In order to give you more detailed answer can you please follow viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 and attach compressed log file to Support Ticket.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

Hello all,

I've been experiencing a very similar issue i believe that just started on April 27.

I have four Chromecast audio devices (with two additional built into some Onkyo receivers for total of six) and three of the four will stop working in that they appear to in MM5 but trying to cast to them gives a "turned off or inaccessible" error. All are on the same firmware version, etc. Doing a complete factory reset on the devices will allow them to work again for about twenty four hours and then sometime overnight they stop working again in MM5. I have a PC i use for my regular music and a laptop i use for script development, etc. and the same behavior occurs for the same chromecst devices. One of the four has always worked fine.

Also, when MM5 sees them as turned off or inaccessible (after 24 hours of a rebuild) i'm still able to control them from the Google Home app, cast from my browser on the same PC/laptop as MM5 and cast from my phone, cast with BubbleUPNP, etc. So it's only MM5 not able to cast to them. The Onkyo chromecast have also always worked but i rarely use them as i us the DLNA services on them which also have always worked.

I do have a log file if that would help.

I apologize if this is not similar enough or i'm appearing to take over the post topic as i don't mean to do so. :-)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please supply log files to Support.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
the log [Ticket #5831] isn't complete (DbgView not started prior to MM5 start) so I can't see all the info and the build number.

A similar issue has been already fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19716 for 5.1 builds.

Could you please download and install 5.1.0.2803 from here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaM ... _Debug.exe
and confirm whether the issue is resolved or not?

Thanks!
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

So i installed 5.1 debug as suggested and there is no difference. The chromecast devices i could cast to before i still can and those i couldn't (haven't done a factory reset) i still can't.

I also posted more on the ticket i have open.
davru

Post by davru »

I've installed the debug version as requested and submitted a bug report with attached file. As in above, installing the latest debug version did not; fix the problem.

Dave V
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

For me when my googlecast device does not show up, it can usually be resolved by restarting the computer.

Recent alpha versions both seem to be working fine for me, and I have had trouble with mine in the past, with the "device is not accessible" error.
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Will be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20006 for the next 5.1 build
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

Looking forward to it. Thank you, Ludek
davru

Post by davru »

Great! Thanks.
MyVikes

Re: MMW5 Casting Fails [#20006]

Post by MyVikes »

Great news...v 5.1.0.2804 as expected fixed the Chromecast SSL issue.  TYVM Ludek and the great MM dev team!
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

So i know i reported the problem reported in this thread was fixed with 5.1.0.2804 but it seems as though a new "similar" problem has popped up in at least 2806. Now after a period of time casting stops working but rather than just groups it also includes single cast devices and rather than having to reset the cast device a simple restart of MM5 does the trick.

Dropping back to at least v2804 resolves the issue and i haven't tried v2805 as of yet to know.

I might also mention that casting to a DNLA device works consistently but it can take up to 30 seconds between songs. May or may not be related.

I'm in the process of gathering logs but as you might imagine the files can be quite large as a lot of activity transpires in the time it takes for the problem to arise.

But until i have logs i thought i'd drop this out there in case anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MyVikes wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:26 pm I might also mention that casting to a DNLA device works consistently but it can take up to 30 seconds between songs. May or may not be related.
Some devices are known that they cache whole files before play them. I wonder if you can test with smaller/shorter files and see if there is a difference, also converting can be the reason so more common files like mp3s can be used to test against FLAC for example.

I am curious if you can find time to test these and share results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MyVikes

Post by MyVikes »

Interim update as i've been very busy as of late......

I've done some additional chromecast testing including using chromecast groups, between MM5 versions 5.1.0.2804, 2805 and 2806 and generally found 2804 to be rock solid. 2805 seems to be largely good bud did have one MM5 error regarding something indicating, to the effect of, concurrent access to a file which occurred when i tried to switch cast devices while a song was playing.

I'll be doing more testing but with 2806 i've noticed my chromecast "groups" don't always show up until after restarting MM5 again which seems to be "like" the problem where they seem to stop working until a MM5 restart. Not sure what changed from 2804 to 2806 but returning to 2804 would be much appreciated. :D

Re, DNLA testing....i did create a playlist with short and long songs interspersed with even multiple long songs and short songs in a row, alternating short and long, etc. and i had none of the problems with either length of songs starting in an acceptable period of time on either version 2805 or 2806 (didn't test 2804) and so i can't explain what i saw earlier with 2806 but i've seen this problem on occasion with no explanation. I do have log files for this testing but with no issues i don't know what help they'd be. So the player is not caching the files before playing which is what i expected as i've used DNLA on this device some time but do use chromecast (although not on this device, it's a Onkyo receiver) more in general. I'll continue to monitor and if a find a rhyme or reason i'll post an update on that.