SD card(s) scan takes very long on new reader

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

UsualNoise

SD card(s) scan takes very long on new reader

Post by UsualNoise »

Hi all - I currently have a large library (~30K songs) and keep 3 micro SD cards synced (phone, mp3 players). I recently had to replace my SD card reader (USB 3.0 internal installed to my PC). Ever since then, anytime I insert one of my SD cards the "Scanning..." process that starts when you insert the card takes forever. (Over an hour.) Before I changed the SD card reader it used to take 5-15 seconds for each card (depending on card speed).

It's almost like it is scanning everything and not remembering the previous scan state. I tried wiping one of the cards and syncing from scratch, but the same problem keeps happening.

Any ideas for what I can try here? I have no idea why the newer reader would have triggered this problem, but I'd love to know if there's a way to get the scan time back to normal.

My 3 cards are 2 sandisk and 1 samsung, all have the same issue.
Peke

Re: SD card(s) scan takes very long on new reader

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have 1$ USB2.0 SDcard reader and it works fast on 256GB SDcard, but after your report I tested same SDCard on USB3.0 Internal Card reader and it was 2xSlower.

Further Copy tests found that USB2.0 copy Video file (8GB) with speed of 15MB/s while USB3.0 do that 34MB/s.

Now here is a strangest thing, USB2.0 copied 30k of various small files 2-3mb with average speed of 5-9MB/s while same set of files USB3.0 copied with average speed of 1-3MB/s. So my guess is that multi access/copy available on USB3.0 actually slows the copy speed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
UsualNoise

Re: SD card(s) scan takes very long on new reader

Post by UsualNoise »

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I've kind of concluded the internal SD card reader has some sort of flaw preventing fast read access. Copies are just as fast as previously, but the read times are abominable.

Fortunately I have a USB 3.0 external SD adapter that I have verified matches the previous speeds (~5-10 seconds for full scan). So I may just use that or try to buy another internal reader and cross my fingers. I'll definitely be leaving a negative review on Amazon though. :wink: