Repairing MMA Library After USB Sync

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

kmicheal

Repairing MMA Library After USB Sync

Post by kmicheal »

I recently changed phones (to a Galaxy A14). I have MMW 5.0.4.2690 and MMA 2.0.0.1073. All of my music files are on an SD card. Initially I simply moved it from the old phone to new, but MMA, while trying to rebuild the library was messing things up in terms of organisation of tracks. So I decided to wipe the card and start again by syncing from MMW. I have a large library and started with a Wi-Fi sync. It was going fine but it was taking way too long. So I cancelled it and started over again, but with a USB sync.

This is going much faster (it's still currently running) but I've begun to notice some strange behaviour in the library:

1. Some of the content is bizarre, like Chinese characters in place of the song titles. If I look at the actual mp3 file it is correct, it just got into the library as Chinese characters (??)
2. The folder structure is correct on the SD card, but the library is putting some Classical music into the main Music collection and some Music into the Classical collection (my folder structure is: music/album artist/album title/track -- classical files are music/classical/album artist/album title/track-- and this structure is correct on the SD card so I don't know why the library is not honouring this,
3. Artists are getting displayed in the library as Album Artists.

As the files copy over from MMW, I notice that MMA is scanning files into the library on its end. Is there a way to get it to re-scan to fix the above errors? I was wondering if I did a Wi-Fi sync afterwards would this fix things?

If this issue has been asked and answered please send me on the link. I did searches but didn't find anything similar.
Lowlander

Re: Repairing MMA Library After USB Sync

Post by Lowlander »

I'd first wait and let the Sync finish. Then check what state tags are in in MMA.
kmicheal

Post by kmicheal »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:14 pm I'd first wait and let the Sync finish. Then check what state tags are in in MMA.
That's what I was thinking, too. It's nearly done now. Hopefully it'll all sort itself out in the end. Thanks for the reply.
kmicheal

Post by kmicheal »

As a follow-up to my previous post. The sync completed with no apparent errors on the MMW side, but the MMA library is still messed up and there are still Chinese characters showing on a few tracks, where there are Latin characers in the mp3 tags.

The Album Artists is showing a mixture of Album and Track Artists but is not identical to the list labeled Artist and Track Artist.

There are Classical albums in the Music Collection and Music albums in the Classical collection.

When I first turned MMA after the sync had finished, it said it was 'Repairing database' but whatever it was doing did not correct any of the above.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to correct the database aside from starting the sync all over again?

Would running a Wi-Fi sync have an impact on fixing the database? (As stated earlier the file structure on the SD card is correct, e.g. all my classical tracks are in a subfolder called Classical (as per the default sync profile) and all my other tracks are by album artist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does Music > Files to Edit > DB/Tag Mismatches show a lot of files in MMW5? What file type(s) seem to be affected?
kmicheal

Post by kmicheal »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:09 am Does Music > Files to Edit > DB/Tag Mismatches show a lot of files in MMW5? What file type(s) seem to be affected?
There are 624 files in Music and 6 in Classical*. But I have 58444 tracks in all, so that's not a lot. On MMW I have 4844 Classical Tracks but only 449 made it to Classical on MMA and some of those should be in Music. There are 57995 tracks in Music on MMA (so all of the tracks are somewhere in the library), but most of the 4844 Classical tracks went there.

I only have mp3 files. Is that what you mean by types?

I had started doing a WiFi sync before all this and I could see that that was going into the MMA correctly, but it was taking so long with all those tracks that I canceled and cleared it and went with a USB sync, but that's messed up my library.

So, my initial question still stands. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to start over again?

*I've fixed these in the MMW library now... they were almost all double ;; in tags where there were multiple values, like composers, artists, or genres. These are all clear now and these weren't related to the library issues.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Once DB/Tag Mismatches are fixed, you can try a wi-fi Sync.

However before that you may want to check the Genre's for Classical Music. Do they the word Classical?

When you did a USB Sycn, did you do it directly to the device with MMA installed attached to your PC?
kmicheal

Post by kmicheal »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:03 pm Once DB/Tag Mismatches are fixed, you can try a wi-fi Sync.

However before that you may want to check the Genre's for Classical Music. Do they the word Classical?

When you did a USB Sycn, did you do it directly to the device with MMA installed attached to your PC?
My Classical do not have the genre Classical. Instead they are organised by period (Baroque, Romantic, etc). When I did the initial Wi-Fi I cancelled after it had gone through the Classical tracks and all of them made it into the Classical section without having the Genre 'Classical' in the tags, but I can add that Genre name I need to. Interestingly enough the tracks that were put into Classical had Neoclassical in their genres.

When I did the USB sync, my phone was connected to my laptop via a USB-C connection. I ran the sync from within MMW.

ADDITION: I was trying to add the Classical genre and was getting a SQL error, so I rebuilt the Database (on MMW). This sorted that problem (I actually posted this to the MMW5 forum section). Could this have been the cause of the sync issue? If so, will a Wi-Fi sync fix this? It won't try and download the files again will it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Wi-fi Sync shouldn't resync files, it may fix previous issues.
kmicheal

Post by kmicheal »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:06 pm Wi-fi Sync shouldn't resync files, it may fix previous issues.
Success! Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Lesson learned: get the database in order on MMW before doing a sync, including a rebuild for good measure.

I learned a lot of new aspects to MM I wasn't familiar with before.

Thanks, again.