1074 - Sonos Media Servers [#14301]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

1074 - Sonos Media Servers [#14301]

Post by Barry4679 »

I just installed v 1074. Upgrade Notes: "possibly fixed: UPnP/DLNA visibility for Sonos / Dennon devices"
What is your goal of listing Sonos units amongst the MMA Media Servers?

Sonos do use UPnP protocol to communicate amongst themselves, but don't support offering themselves as a DLNA Media Server.
The new MMA support for Sonos is a mess, see here
  • you list the Sonos units, showing IP address and Sonos model name, but not their location ... ie. hard to identify which unit is which
  • you list every unit in the household; ie. in my office I have a left and a right speaker & a sub ... you list each individually
  • you list the units, but MMA cannot connect to any of them .. error "Server Disconnected"

BTW I can see my Sonos units using Bubble UPnP. I can open my music share are browse. But I can't initiate a play using their tool either.

If you are going to insist upon listing all these players, can the MMA Media Servers node get a "-" button so that I can suppress servers that are no use to me?

What is your aim with this change?
nb I use the Sonos S1 version of their control s/w.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Re: 1074 - Sonos Media Servers

Post by rusty »

The intent was to try to allow playback to those devices. It's obviously not working though.

I've re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14301

-Rusty
Peke

Re: 1074 - Sonos Media Servers [#14301]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Barry4679 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:19 pm BTW I can see my Sonos units using Bubble UPnP. I can open my music share are browse. But I can't initiate a play using their tool either.
Sorry for jumping in, but therr is one thing confusing me. Listing of Sonos devices is added so that MMA can cast TO Sonos/Denon not Play from Sonos.

Lastly as VLC see Them also, does it see them in Groups or as single devices?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:32 pmSorry for jumping in, but therr is one thing confusing me. Listing of Sonos devices is added so that MMA can cast TO Sonos/Denon not Play from Sonos.
You are talking about something different to what I was commenting upon.
I was commenting about all of the non-functional Sonos pollution in the MMA Media Servers tab.

I had not tried MMA casting to Sonos before.
I have now looked at it. Comments:
* The List is better because it lists Sonos room location, not just IP Address
* the list still displays left and paired right units separately, and also subs separately
* MMA cannot successfully cast to a Sonos ... no sound. No error.
* MMA can play to a Sonos if goes via a Google Chromecast dongle

You guys DO KNOW how to play to Sonos units because you have set this up correctly from MMW, ie. I can play to a selected Sonos unit using MM5

If the DEVs want more info showing to see how to successfully connect to Sonos, and how to list Sonos Grouped units, rather than individual components, they could look at this Open Source project. Is in Python, but it will illustrate how to connect to and use Sonos via its UPnP backbone.

Comment: Ventis should stump the $$'s to get a Sonos unit pair for the person doing the development. They would need to S1 units. Probably about $500 US. or 2nd hand probably about the cost of a week's worth of petrol, pizza, beers & cigarettes
Sonos is just getting started. The company believes it’s just scratching the surface of its long-term opportunity. Sonos was in 11 million homes at the end of fiscal year 2020, representing only approximately 9% of the 116 million affluent homes in its existing markets1. On the revenue side, Sonos accounted for approximately 7% of the total spend in the $18 billion premium home audio market in 20202, and expects to expand into the broader $89 billion global audio opportunity over the long-term
Peke wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:32 pm Lastly as VLC see Them also, does it see them in Groups or as single devices?
I don't have VLC
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Barry4679 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:23 am If the DEVs want more info showing to see how to successfully connect to Sonos, and how to list Sonos Grouped units, rather than individual components, they could look at this Open Source project. Is in Python, but it will illustrate how to connect to and use Sonos via its UPnP backbone.
This is Python example and MM Core is written in Delhi. It is liek said on github more project for addon developer than us.
Barry4679 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:23 am I don't have VLC
I meant BubbleUPnP not VLC.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:11 pm This is Python example and MM Core is written in Delhi. It is liek said on github more project for addon developer than us.
Hopefully you aren't speaking for the Developer.
  • Sonos don't have an api library that is useful to you
  • anyone who can write Pascal, can read Python
  • Sonos don't have an api for Python either ... all interaction with Sonos is achieved via the UPnP calls that have been reverse-engineered by the community ... the Python project shows how to achieve whatever you would need to do to make MMA work with Sonos
  • maybe there is a better resource, but if so, I am not aware of it