Syncing fine apart from 2 sets of folders which keep syncing twice...

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

Syncing fine apart from 2 sets of folders which keep syncing twice...

Post by feline1 »

Hi folks.
I finally could take no more of the endless crashing on my elderly Sony NW-ZX100 walkman and its USB 2.0 connection. My library has over 30,000 tracks and life was too short :)

So, got myself a new Sony NW-ZX707. It is an Android 12 device with WiFi.

And I'm very pleased to say that, having installed MM for Android on it, it basically synced fine from my existing Windows 11 PC (which runs MMW 5) over WiFi.
One point to note is that the limiting factor for syncing speed appears to be my 1TB SanDisk microSD card... it seems to write at about one file per second, orders of magnitude slower than WiFi - I guess that was a slight disappointment :) but it's still a dream compared to trying to sync the same card inside a ZX100 over USB 2.0! No crashes! :D :D

I only have one area of weirdness in all those 30,000 files...

I am actually using the 'Genre' tag as the flag for whether to sync tracks or not (don't ask... it's just a legacy decision for when I was trying to partition a huge library between smaller devices). And in the Sync Profile > File locations, I have told it to put files in

Code: Select all

\MUSIC\<Path:3>
Basically this just replicates the directory structure for my music library, from my Windows PC hard drive to my Walkman SD card

BUT... have about 30 files out of my 30,000 where they appear to sync twice.
An extra folder appears, which appears to be

Code: Select all

<Composer_name>
I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is doing this! Any suggestions? I don't like unsolved mysteries :P
Last edited by feline1 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Syncing fine apart from 2 sets of folders which keep syncing twice...

Post by Lowlander »

Are they Type = Classical Music in MMW? That would have a separate instruction on how to save on the device.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:31 pm Are they Type = Classical Music in MMW? That would have a separate instruction on how to save on the device.
To be honest I am a bit confused to how Media Monkey works that out? Their Genre is set to Classical and they appear in the Music node and also in the Classical node.
But the same settings are set for transferring both Music and Classical.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What Type do they have in MMW?
feline1 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:47 pmthey appear in the Music node and also in the Classical node
In MMW? That would be expected as the default for the Music node is to include Type = Classical Music besides Music.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:31 pm Are they Type = Classical Music in MMW? That would have a separate instruction on how to save on the device.
I don't remember ever manually setting the 'Type=' tag before, or ever even really noticing it before... but I just set a few thousand files' to 'Type=Music' just in case ;)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's set automatically when you add files to MMW.

Which Build (Help > About) of MMW and MMA are you using and did you do a wi-fi or USB Sync?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:49 pm In MMW? That would be expected as the default for the Music node is to include Type = Classical Music besides Music.
Yeah in MMW. Does it set that Type=Classic Music automatically from the Genre tag? I don't remember ever setting it manually

Anyways, I changed all those Type= tags to 'Music' and resynced and the duplicated folders seem to have gone! Which is great. That's for the tip :)

(I don't really know *why* it made 30 of those Type=Classical Music track appear in duplicate folders (named by Composer), because (a) the file Sync Profile > File Location > Classic settings were the same for them as for Music, and (b) there were about 1500 tracks with their Type=ClassicalMusic tag set that way, but only 30 misbehaved.
But whatever the reason, seems to be fixed now!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Genre determines classical music type: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... tion_Rules