Duplicates of every single file in my library, how to remove?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

d4005

Duplicates of every single file in my library, how to remove?

Post by d4005 »

I recently had an issue where I had to use the Drive ID fix plugin, the result was that it fixed my bad drive id/paths but now have a duplicate of every single file in my library.

I've found this help item but I don't understand what it's saying. It starts with "In the Tree, go to the Library". I don't even know what that means. Also, it's from MM3 rather than MM4.

These are 100% duplicates, every single one of their properties is identical. I'm not sure how the add/rescan could have added them as new files, although it's bound to be related to that drive ID thing - but I can't see what field it is.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Duplicates of every single file in my library, how to remove?

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi d4005,

Just to be sure, go to say the music node and select the Show Details under the View menu.

If you right click on the column title row a list of available columns will be displayed. Add Media / Type and Path. You can drag the columns to change the order. I like to have (left to right) Media then Type then Artist / Album Artist / Album / Disc / Track then Title but you choose your preference.

Are you still seeing the duplicates i.e. does it show the same Media and Path for the dups?
Ian Taylor
d4005

Post by d4005 »

Yeah, it shows the same in every single column for both versions of the file (same filename, path, media, type, etc).
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi d4005,

In this case, I would take a backup copy of your MM.DB file:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/

Then run the Add / Rescan files - does this fix or change the "count"?

Take a look at:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ow-to-fix/
Ian Taylor
d4005

Post by d4005 »

Well, I'm back to only one copy. Unfortunately I went the wrong way about it. I removed ALL music from the library, knowing that it would be re-scanned (just once) on a restart of MM. I was right, it definitely did that. What I didn't expect is that it would destroy my playlists. They're all empty. I thought it might have just left them alone but no, removing music from the library automatically removes it from all playlists. Oh well, live and learn.

I could try and restore the playlists from a backup of the DB file from my daily backups, but that would probably restore the duplicates too :-(

Rebuilding the playlists manually now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Duplicates may be somewhat easy to remove by sorting on Added. The new copies (which aren't on Playlists) would all have the same recent date.
d4005

Post by d4005 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:44 am The Duplicates may be somewhat easy to remove by sorting on Added. The new copies (which aren't on Playlists) would all have the same recent date.
Oh man. That would have been the most obvious thing to do. I did spot it adding all the files for a third time btw, so I think I'm best off with the fresh start.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may have Folder Monitoring enabled which will auto-scan the new drive before you change the driveID of the old drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
d4005

Post by d4005 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:06 am You may have Folder Monitoring enabled which will auto-scan the new drive before you change the driveID of the old drive: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
I'm all good now, thanks.